Size(S) To Serve 40 People?

Business By chelley325 Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 12:19am by chelley325

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 9:29pm
post #1 of 7

I just got my first "official" order for a bridal shower at the end of June. The count is 40 people and from what I can gather from my reference books, it looks like an 11x15 sheet or some combination of 6,8,10" tiered would serve this many (depending on the style the bride wants). Is this accurate? Any tips would be appreciated! Thank you icon_smile.gif

6 replies
cakesbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjen Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #2 of 7

the sheet cake would be enough to serve generous sized pieces, but i think the stacked might be a touch small for big enough pieces...

but if they aren't planning on eating a lot or anything then the stacked would be alright, i think i would put the slices at about 30 for the stacked and the sheet would be 30-40, but those are just my opinions and i don't know how big of pieces those would be!

but i hope i sort of helped... icon_biggrin.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 7

a 10" sq serves 40-46 servings if it's 4" high.

I did one for today, it was a 10" base, with an 8" dummy and a 6" anniversary layer. i did that to serve 45 people. an 8" cake serves 20... so if you were to serve all the of those stacked you would have 72 servings.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 7

An 11x15" sheet serves 35 standard pieces (2x2), so I would suggest bumping it up to a 12x18 for a group of 40. That's 54 standard pieces.

As far as tiered cakes, you can use any chart you like to come up with the serving sizes you need. Here are two popular ones:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm

Even by Earlene's chart, which is generous, a 6", 8", 10" serves 53, so you would have plenty with that combination.

chelley325 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 7

Thank you for those links! A question about the Earlene's link though (I apologize for maybe not understanding since I am just starting with cakes) but why is there such a huge different between servings and bride's servings??

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:17am
post #6 of 7

The chart is really two charts - columns A, B, C, and E are for single-tiers. Look in the yellow 'C' column if you are just wanting to find the number of servings for a single tier.

Columns F, and G go with the FAR right column with the size combinations. Earlene likes at least a 3" difference between her tiers, that is why you don't see the 6", 8", 10" combination on there.

The pink 'F' column indicates how many servings you would get from the size combination in the far right column (to the left of the blue column) if you did NOT serve the top tier.

The blue 'G' column indicates how many servings you would get from the far right column if you DID serve the top tier.

chelley325 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:19am
post #7 of 7

Thank you so much! That definitely helps icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%