Graduation Cake- Help!

Decorating By kpargola Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm by kpargola

kpargola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpargola Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 4

HI! My mom asked me to make my brother's graduation cake. He graduates May 17th from Penn State. I spoke to my brother about what he wants. Really basic: white cake with a sugary buttercream and the Penn State Logo on it. So I am making an oval cake with the navy and white oval logo on it (the one of the nitany lion head).
I have a few iquestions at this point:
1. I am starting to make it and planning on freezing it at my in-laws house. They have a large empty freezer for me. My question - can I decorate it and freeze it? Do I need to wrap it in plastic wrap? I am just worried about ruining it the decorations. Should I just frost it then freeze it and wait to decorate it? I am planning on pulling it out Thursday night (May15) since we will be traveling Friday evening to Penn State. If I can freeze it all decorated then I will get it when we take our dog to my in-laws before we go. Any suggestions as to how I freeze the cake?

2. For the Penn State logo- what is going to my best, easiest method of doing this. I thought about a frozen butter cream transfer but wasnt sure since Ive never done one. Then I thought about the way we were taught in Wilton's classes with the piping gel. The logo will be centered in the middle of the oval cake. It is about an inch smaller all the way around so I can write on the cake. Any ideas or suggestions?

I appreciate any help! Thanks!

Katie

3 replies
c420 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
c420 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 4

Personally, I would only ice it then freeze it. Or really I would bake then freeze, wrapped in plastic wrap, make buttercream to take with and ice and decorate right before. You can def freeze after icing though. I would wrap it in plastic either way. If you do decorate it before freezing, put into freezer for a little while then take out and wrap after decorations are slightly frozen so they won't get ruined! Hope this helps!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 4

OMG c420!!!! You made my whole day!!!!

kpargola, I would do what c420 said about base-coat and freezing, and do the FBCT (super easy!!!), and the day that you are leaving, drop off the dogs, pick up the cake, put the FBCT on the cake and give it a quick boarder. should take all of 10 minutes.

kpargola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kpargola Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks! I am definitely going to freeze with a decent base coat and take it out the night before we leave and finish it then.

About the FBCT- the image I am copying needs to be a reverse image for it to look right on the cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%