Buttercream Icing Question

Decorating By maude Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm by luvmykidz

maude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maude Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:35am
post #1 of 15

I notice that a lot of you use butter in your recipe, doesn't it cause the icing to be yellow instead of white? Also does anyone know how long fondant lasts in the freezer? Wouldn't want to risk making any ill from eating it if it goes bad. Thanks

14 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:39am
post #2 of 15

Yes. the butter gives it a yellow color, but if you use shortening for the Buttercream, it will be white.

I haven't put my fondant in the fridge. So hope another member can help you out.

Kyleen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kyleen Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:51am
post #3 of 15

I don't use butter in my bc. Just the shortening, sugar, etc. As for fondant, I have never put that in the freezer as well. Mine will keep for weeks stored at room temp. I use Toba Garrett's recipe and it really works for me. icon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #4 of 15

folks on here know far more than me...
but I was told that fondant is shelf stable for months. (it's sold on store shelves that way)
also, I believe that you can get white butter from specialty stores, but I have gone to look for it yet.

LadyMike Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyMike Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:04pm
post #5 of 15

The butter does give the icing a bit of a yellow tinge, but a tip that someone gave on here a few months back, was to add just the slightest amount of purple "paste" food coloring. Believe it or not, that will whiten your yellowish BC icing. I'll try to find that thread because it has so many great tips.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:13pm
post #6 of 15

Maybe I don't see so well, but...

I have used the violet to combat the yellow in the butter. However, if I mix the buttercream for about 5 minutes, something magic happens icon_biggrin.gif and the buttercream appears completely white to me! I use Great Value butter, so perhaps it isn't quite as yellow as some, I don't know.

maude Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #7 of 15

thanks for all of the replies, This is such a great place to get answers.

kelleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleygirl Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:30pm
post #8 of 15

i found out about two years ago that the longer you whip butter the whiter it gets. I use IMBC for almost all my cakes and if you look at my pics you'll see that my icing, although not white white, it's pretty close. I also use real vanilla in my recipes. I whip it right in with the butter.

I find that my customers will sacrifice the white color for the taste. Butter BC tastes so much better than shortening BC, IMO. You can also add a teaspoon of wilton white-white in with the butter while your whipping. It will make it even whiter.

I don't have trouble with coloring the IMBC made with butter.

kelleygirl

maude Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 15

Kellygirl, can you please tell me what IMBC stand for, I know the BC is buttercream. Thanks

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:43pm
post #10 of 15

I think its Italian Meringu Butter Cream.

kelleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleygirl Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 15

Yes, IMBC stands for Italian Meringue Butter Cream. The Cake Bible calls it Mousseline Buttercream. Same thing. It tastes wonderful and is super smooth.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:36pm
post #12 of 15

It may be just my perception, but I think unsalted butter is a little whiter than salted butter - I typically use either Land O Lakes or Giant (depends on what's on sale).

I'm an all-butter buttercream kinda gal, and I also only use real vanilla, no matter if I'm making a SMBC or an American. The flavor definately makes up for it not being white-white, but I also don't do wedding cakes, which is where that seems to matter most.

Amy729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy729 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:54pm
post #13 of 15

I also use butter in my BC. The taste is so much better that I would rather have a slight, and it is very slight, yellow tint. I have also found that whipping the butter longer makes for a whiter icing.

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #14 of 15

I use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening in my buttercream, but add very little powdered sugar(relatively speaking). I find too, that if I whip it long enough, it isn't yellow anymore! I use salted butter, and real, brown, vanilla. The only thing I find to be a problem is that my BC doesn't crust. I use a hot spatula to smooth it while it is very cold. It definitely tastes better than all shortening, at least to me!

luvmykidz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmykidz Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #15 of 15

I'm making my first fondant cake this week....
i'm adding the buttercream first. do i wait a day or so for it to dry before i add the fondant? i read that you should start a cake with fondant about 2 days in advance....
thank you soooo much for any suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%