Poured Buttercream

Decorating By peanut123 Updated 21 Oct 2013 , 8:47am by auzzi

peanut123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut123 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 19

Anyone have experience with poured buttercream? Opinions?

It is supposed to look just like fondant, but taste much better.

It seems this is Buttercream (butter + powered sugar) gently heated until it can be poured over the cake.

It is mentioned in these two forums:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=115075

http://www.cheftalk.com/forums/pastries-baking-general/33727-how-would-i-make-donut-cake.html

18 replies
dogluvr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dogluvr Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 19

I never heard of poured BC, but I heard of poured fondant...check out Lisa's site. She gives step by step with pictures and her recipe.

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #3 of 19

I have done this with store bought frosting just to experiment, and it worked GREAT! I just put it in a bowl, popped it in the microwave, stirring it every 20 seconds or so, and poured it right on. It came out so smooth. I did have to push it around with a spoon a little, and obviously I did it with the cake on a cooling rack over waxed paper to catch the drips (there were tons) but it was extremely easy, and tasted nice, too. Hope this helps.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 5:44am
post #4 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut123

It seems this is Buttercream (butter + powered sugar) gently heated until it can be poured over the cake.

Actually, the article stated, "Equal parts butter and shortening whipped with either confectioners sugar or simple syrup for extra smoothness."

One variation appears to call for whipping butter/shortening with simple syrup? That combination won't yield American b/c... And since no egg whites are used, it won't yield a meringue b/c either. icon_sad.gif

However, powdered sugar and simple syrup (or plain water & corn syrup) will yield (an unflavored) poured fondant:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/quickfondant.cfm

If you're game to experiment, you might want to try a half recipe of the Wilton butter and shortening recipe:

http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/icing/bcream.cfm

Then remove a small portion to "gently melt to a pouring consistency" and pour it over a cake layer.

Look forward to hearing your results. icon_smile.gif

HTH

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 6:38am
post #5 of 19

OOOHHH!!! definitely something worth trying!

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 7:23am
post #6 of 19

Amen to that SISTA!!!

peanut123 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 1:20am
post #7 of 19

JanH,
This technique has potential in certain applicationsâ¦very smooth and almost zero air bubblesâ¦tastes much better than poured fondant.

My only complaint is that the sides tend to âslipâ before the buttercream âsetsâ. I think the cake needed to be coolerâ¦more practice needed icon_smile.gif
LL

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:14am
post #8 of 19

that looks pretty good!

what do you mean slips?

peanut123 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:53am
post #9 of 19

Cupcakeshoppe,
In the photo, notice that the right-side of the cake is not as smooth as the left-side. The weight of the fluid buttercream caused it to slide down, slightly. (âSlipâ and slide have similar meanings.)

fyi â I made the horizontal cut in the middle to determine the actual thickness of the buttercream.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #10 of 19

I'm actually going to try it this afternoon. I have some experimental 4" cakes in the freezer, and some IMBC. I'll let ya know how it goes.

Mike

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 3:39pm
post #11 of 19

oooh. okay. thanks for pointing that out. I was paying attention to the pretty blue, didn't notice it LOL

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:01pm
post #12 of 19

I have a question.... could you use this on cut out cookies that have been oulined?????

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut123

Cupcakeshoppe,
In the photo, notice that the right-side of the cake is not as smooth as the left-side. The weight of the fluid buttercream caused it to slide down, slightly. (âSlipâ and slide have similar meanings.)

fyi â I made the horizontal cut in the middle to determine the actual thickness of the buttercream.

I bet you really wouldn't have that problem with petit fours since they are so small! What type of BC did you use? Just regular ABC, IMBC, a special recipe? I've been looking for an attractive and easy way to cover petit fours and you have my interest piqued!!! So thank you!!

peanut123 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 5:26pm
post #14 of 19

Melvira,
I used a medium consistency decorators buttercream (hi-ratio shortening based). During the first attempts with this technique, I wanted to use a buttercream that would âfirm-upâ at a relatively high temperature (compared to butter).

I have not attempted to heat the other buttercreams. I suspect that if you get the âbuttercreamsâ that use butter too warm the emulsifiers will âbreakâ and the butter will separate.

Good luck and have fun looking for that attractive and easy way to cover petit fours. icon_smile.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #15 of 19

Thank you peanut123! I currently use hi-ratio based american buttercream and my standard, so I will try that. I agree that the butter based version may break down quite easily! I appreciate your input!! thumbs_up.gif

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:14pm
post #16 of 19

Very interesting results. I wonder if it is possible with regular shortening. I don't have access to hi ratio here.

buttercreamkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamkisses Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 11:15pm
post #17 of 19

Cake angel- I say you try it and report back b/c I don't have any hi -ratio either. icon_smile.gif

giggleloveswate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggleloveswate Posted 20 Oct 2013 , 1:11am
post #18 of 19

AWill the poured buttercream crust to be decorated on??

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%