Satin Ribbon On Square Cake

Decorating By Princess3 Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm by Princess3

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 4

What is the best way to place ribbon at the base of a cake without icing coming through? I did a round wedding cake with ribbon that I put a strip of wax paper under but you could still see the icing where I "dotted" it together. Is there any other way? Also the bride is wanting a few flowers on the very top tier 4" do I need to do anything special before placing on the cake and how soon before the wedding should I put them on there so they stay fresh? Lastly, I am planning on making the cake(4 tier) on Friday transporting it Saturday and putting it together that morning of the wedding, will it be fresh open to the air?? Or does it need to be covered using only buttercream decor?

3 replies
sassycleo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassycleo Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 4

As far as the ribbon, the only place your going to dot is in the rear of the cake so honestly if the ribbon is a little darker it's not really going to matter.

You talked about flowers, what kind of flowers?

You can leave the cake uncovered it's not really going to affect the cake itself, the buttercream is going to crust and the icing keeps the moisture of the cake in. this has been my experience anyway.

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 4

Hi,
Iron the ribbon on both sides between waxed paper. Remember to put some paper toweling under it and on top to prevent wax on the ironing board and iron. Place it around your cake and attach with a small piece of double sided tape or a touch of piping gel. Good luck and pm me with any other questions. Promise - no icing will bleed through!! thumbs_up.gif

Princess3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princess3 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 8:13pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for those tips, I am not for sure what kind of flowers yet. She is going to the florist to pick them out this weekend so I guess I will post again when I do find out!!! Good tip on ironing the ribbon as well, never thought of it, what does it actually help, I am a geek!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%