What Cake Decorating Tool/gadget Could You Have Lived W/out?

Decorating By wendysue Updated 26 Apr 2008 , 2:07am by wgoat5

wendysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wendysue Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 14

I wonder as I look through my cabinets and bins at all the stuff I've accumulated, all the money I've spent... what on earth was I thinking and how much of this stuff do I actually use? lol icon_rolleyes.gif

I have for example some fondant punching tools that I've not used even one time. Not for anything. They're those Wilton punches that punch out floral shapes into fondant.

On the other hand, I use my gumpaste tools all the time. Also a paintbrush and a very small wooden rolling pin.

What have you purchased that now just sits in a drawer?

~Wendy

13 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 6:55pm
post #2 of 14

hmm if you promise you will hide this thread from my DH I'll tell ya LOL

Lets see.. I have the same fondant punch out like you have.. never used... the strip cutter from Wilton .. never used... I have like 3 cutters right now that haven't even been out of the packages... Love the cutters but I could of spent the money elsewhere...some Wilton pans that never really worked out for me...

hmmm... I could go on I think..but..

OHHH yes.. I bought a mold.. thought it was bigger one from First Impression molds...well I paid like 26 bucks for this.. expected a big mold.. hmm.. well.. it makes flowers about the size of my pinky nail icon_sad.gif ... I wish I had read icon_rolleyes.gif

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 14

I have the wilton cutter and embosser and never use it. I actually saw it again last night and though HMMM lets try this and hated it. My mom bought me that 100 piece decorating kit that you see on TV and that sits there most of the time,except the disposable decorating bags, I use those.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:15pm
post #4 of 14

Most of the wilton junk!

floophs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
floophs Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 14

This is a great thread as I'm still a newbie and wanting to add to my stash of stuff/gadgets. This will help guide me as to what looks fun but not necessarily useful or needed.

I've been debating on getting one of those "ball" cake pans...does anyone have any input about those? Is it worth investing in or are they a pain in the butt to use?

mommycakediva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommycakediva Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:21pm
post #6 of 14

for me it would be the tool from wilton to make drop strings even, but I would like to use this some time when it ness.

TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:39pm
post #7 of 14

I think there are a lot of people out there who would agree with me that the Wilton tilting turntable is junk. Boy, do I regret that money spent... I never use my Wilton gumpaste molds, either.

Deanna

P.S. - Floophs, I love my ball pan. You mean the one that has two halves that go together to make a sphere? I use mine a lot.

RRGibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RRGibson Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #8 of 14

I'll just say a bunch of wilton stuff that doesn't work!

Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 14

Hmmmm.....the wilton cake divider thing...that mommycakediva mentioned, I have it, never opened. LOL... Lets see...I hate Wiltons big cake cutter thing... still cuts my cakes crooked LOL...sometimes I'm better off doing it by hand!! HAHAHA...

BUT...the things I thought I could live without, I LOVE now and would never give them up!!!! LIKE.....my big silpat silicone mat....and makin's clay gun!!!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #10 of 14

The first thing that came to mind was both Wilton levelers and the Bake Easy strips. I know there are those that swear by them, but I really don't think they make any difference.

Of course I have a bunch of other stuff that I'm hoping I will get to use, but for now much of it's sitting in a drawer just waiting. The one's I would return if I could include all the stuff I bought for the Wilton Gumpaste class.

Irish245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Irish245 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:32pm
post #11 of 14

Mine would have to be the cake leveler.....used it a few time and now I just put the cake on the turntable and spin it and use a knife! Another thing would be the bake even strips....just too much trouble. The last thing that comes to mind right now is the curved things...flower formers....I use them but had I known it before I bought them, I would have just used the roll from the paper towels. I use them and tell my students to not invest the money. Just cut the rolls in half the long way and there ya go!!!

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:33pm
post #12 of 14

Most of my never used or rarely used stuff is also Wilton. I bought some shaped cake pans when I first started, they still have the labels in them and I've been decorating for 13 years! I can't even give them away. No one wants them. The Wilton gumpaste cutters are buried somewhere in all my stuff.

One of my absolute least favorite things was the 1/2 18" round pan. It does NOT make a round cake! It is also a major pain to use.

The Wilton tilting turntable is horrendous. I returned it after it tossed my cake onto the table. I was working on a show cake. Thankfully there was no damage.

I guess I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. LOL

Michele

shannonlovebug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonlovebug Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:01am
post #13 of 14

Yikes! I just bought a WHOLE bunch of Wilton stuff for my upcoming classes and after reading everyones posts I am now worried that I wasted all that money. I did have 50% off coupons for most of the higher priced stuff so that is some consulation.

Does everyone really hate all the Wilton stuff? I can't afford the higher end stuff right now but I hate to pay good money for junk. Ugh, such a waste!

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 2:07am
post #14 of 14

Shannon... I know the stuff is expensive... especially when you start using cutters/ anything basically to do with gp flowers and such.. BUT.. it is sooo worth it to buy a little of the better stuff.. then to waste anymore money on stuff that won't work icon_smile.gif (that's what I tell my DH anyways LOL)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%