No More Wedding Cake And Fear Of Sliding Fondant . . .

Decorating By SusieHazCakes Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm by superstar

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 12

Hi, cake friends,

I promised to keep y'all posted about my daughter's wedding cake, so here's the short story.

A week ago today the groom cancelled the wedding. icon_redface.gif The details don't really matter. He's just "not ready." Unbelievable!! icon_cry.gif I'm confident my daughter will be fine. We were devestated, but we're strong and know that things usually work out like they should and everything will be fine eventually. icon_rolleyes.gif

Anyway, in an effort to find a silver lining, some awesome new cake friends suggested I make the cake and enter it in the Oklahoma State Sugar Arts Show in September. So, I am!! And I'm taking a couple more (baby nursery with cradle and walls and law books). I'm really looking forward to the whole OSSAS experience.

Since there's no wedding, now I have time to make a cake for my niece, who's graduating from Tulane Law School the week before the un-wedding and I need to use up the tons of pink and brown Choco-Pan I'd already bought. Since airline tickets were already purchased for my family, we're having a family reunion. So, I came up with this cake that ought to easily feed the 40 or so we're expecting. My niece will love it!

The way it's decorated in the photo is just something simple I put in the drawing, but I will have trim on the bodice, a big flower or bow, pink lace on the brown dress (to look kind of like brocade) and a ruffle on the bottom. I plan to mold the bodice and mannequin out of RKT, cover it with fondant and add it after I have the skirt finished.

My only concern is that the fondant will slide off the cake. I wanted the ruffle to hide the cake plate so that the stand will look like the bottom of the mannequin. If I put the fondant on the skirt with the cakes sitting on a flat surface and let it set, I don't think it will slide off. Then I'd put it on the cake plate after it had set and add the ruffle.

What do you think about this? Do you think I'll have a problem with the Choco-Pan sliding off? Have any of you had a similar experience with sliding fondant? I haven't, but I haven't done that much fondant and haven't covered anything this size. The cake will be 12" diameter at the bottom and about 18" tall, including the top part.

Any suggestions or ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Susie
LL

11 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 3:47am
post #2 of 12

Oh I am sooo sorry this has happened.. but better now then AFTER the wedding icon_sad.gif ... and you have turned a bad situation into a good one!!!!

I think the cake will turn out lovely.. I don't have any advice.. as my ability is not up to par right now.. but it looks like it will be gorgeous..

again .. I am sorry about the bad news icon_sad.gif

(((((((((hugs)))))))

SusieHazCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:06am
post #3 of 12

Thanks, Christi, for your kind comment, but it always looks to me like your ability is doing just fine.

And Happy Anniversary! icon_biggrin.gif

Susie

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 10:03am
post #4 of 12

Thank you Susie!! Keep us updated.. and I'm gonna give you a bump to get an answer.. (I hope I didn't keep you from getting answers)

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 12

well i'm glad for your daughter, better now than... well later.

giving you a bump too. I think it's a good idea and i'd love to know what other people's suggestions will be icon_biggrin.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 12

I'm not a fondant expert, but I don't see why it would slid. As long as you 'stuck' it on well enough, I would think it should be fine.

SusieHazCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks, y'all for your help and input. I don't have a solid reason for thinking it might slide, it just seems like it would because all the weight will be at the bottom. The top of the dress part will only be about 2.5" in diameter.

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 12

Sorry that it happend to her, but like you say everything happens for a reason.

I cant see that it will slide, and the weight wont be at the bottom, it will be evenly distributed along the cake. Just dont make the layer of BC underneath too thick and you should be fine. I think covering the cake and letting it settle before adding the ruffle is a great idea. If you can leave it overnight it should work great!

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:30pm
post #9 of 12

The dress shouldn't slide off - just be sure to put a light thin layer of BC on the cake (to much and it will surely slide right off). Your right to let it sit for a few hours or perhaps a day to make sure the dress stiffens up a bit and then you should be fine.

Can't wait to see your finished product.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:33pm
post #10 of 12

don't put too much bc and it should be fine!

SusieHazCakes Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks, poshcakedesigns and riana.

You know, with Choco-Pan, I don't need much buttercream at all. On my Christmas ornaments, which I covered with Choco-Pan, I didn't cover the ball part with any buttercream at all. I just misted the top of the cake and put it on. I'll make a crumb coat, but that's probably about it.

And thanks for the letting it set overnight suggestion -- very good and I will do it like that. I'll be very eager to wake up the next day to see if my pretty skirt has fallen to the floor. icon_redface.gif

Hope y'all have a great weekend!

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 9:40pm
post #12 of 12

It should be just fine & I am looking forward to seeing the cake when it is done. I am sad for your daughter, but it is a blessing it happened now, everything happens for a reason & she will find Mr. Right.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%