Candy Melts For Strawberries???

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm by cakebaker1957

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 11

Will it work?? or i thought about poured fondant, or can i tint white chocolate i want to make the tuxedo strawberries with pink jackets on?? What ya think
Thanks to all

10 replies
amoos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amoos Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 11

personally I think the candy melts would be "not so tasty"......I've tinted white chocolate to red before for valentine's day and it worked fine plus tasted yummy......they're even better when you inject them with champagne icon_smile.gif

tmt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmt Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

they're even better when you inject them with champagne icon_smile.gif

how do you do that??

cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoos

personally I think the candy melts would be "not so tasty"......I've tinted white chocolate to red before for valentine's day and it worked fine plus tasted yummy......they're even better when you inject them with champagne icon_smile.gif

thanks i will try tinted white chocolate, i guess i had better leave the champagne out though there will be little kids running around at the reception , may given a try for me though??? icon_rolleyes.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:36pm
post #5 of 11

I have done it, and actually it works quite well. I am kind of a chocolate snob, but I just thought it would be easier. I was pretty happy because I thought they tasted pretty good.

cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I have done it, and actually it works quite well. I am kind of a chocolate snob, but I just thought it would be easier. I was pretty happy because I thought they tasted pretty good.

You used the candy melts??

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:48pm
post #7 of 11

I've used the candy melts myself, just get better ones... such as Merkens or the Wilton premium (not sure if they come in white). For some reason, I really like the premium Wilton ones, and I too am a chocolate snob. I just think they have a very good "real" chocolate flavor. Also, make sure you get the white white ones - some are a bit yellowish and I don't think they'll make the transition to pink well.
Anyway, I've never had a complaint when I used the candy melts instead of real chocolate, can't say myself, as I don't like strawberries (gasp)!

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:49pm
post #8 of 11

yes, but any confectionary coating (like almond bark) would work. The bonus is that you dont have to worry about tempering it or anything. If you use just straight chocolate it might not set up the way you want it to. The candy melts are really made for that type of thing. I mean it doesnt taste AS good as real chocolate but it really wasnt bad. I have a few things in my gallery that you can look at where i used candy melts or ghiradelli candy coating. (snow man cookies, santa cookies, tuxedo strawberries, chocolate transfers etc.)

cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:55pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

yes, but any confectionary coating (like almond bark) would work. The bonus is that you dont have to worry about tempering it or anything. If you use just straight chocolate it might not set up the way you want it to. The candy melts are really made for that type of thing. I mean it doesnt taste AS good as real chocolate but it really wasnt bad. I have a few things in my gallery that you can look at where i used candy melts or ghiradelli candy coating. (snow man cookies, santa cookies, tuxedo strawberries, chocolate transfers etc.)

Forgot about almond bark, maybe give that a try i only need about 6 to set ontop of a grooms cake the bride's colors are pink i thought i could do the tux in pink and make a pink fondant initial to tie it in

oliveoyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oliveoyle Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:26pm
post #10 of 11

I use the almond bark for strawberries all the time it has a fairly good flavor and always sets up nice and shiny where the real chocolate if it is not tempered properly can be very dull looking icon_smile.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 11

thanks to all i will use the almond bark i think i will do a trial run this weekend

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%