Cake Sizes

Decorating By bengals Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm by busymom9431

bengals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bengals Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 4

I am fairly new to cake decorating and live in Scotland and love to get inspiration and advice from this website however find it hard to get lots of products. My main concern is i get the right tin size states in my recipe books but my cake never rises to look as deep as the ones on this site or in the book, do you get those size of tins or are the cakes 3 or 4 small ones stacked on top of each other if you could also help me with some of the abbreavations on your site as i don't understand them all.

Many Yhanks Dee icon_smile.gif

3 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 4

I guess I am not quite sure what you are asking...............
Here in the US our round cakes are typically 2 2inch layers stacked so the cake is 4 inches plus the icing in between and on top so a little bit more than 4 inches. Our sheet cakes as we call them (sizes like 8 inch by 12 inch, 11 inch by 15 inch, and larger rectangular cakes) are one layer and it is only 2 inches high.
As far as the abbreviations, I know there is thread (article) somewhere that explains them all but I don't know where it is. Hopefully somebody else will add the link so you can view the list of abbreviations.
Good luck with your new found hobby!

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 4

The cakes here are usually 2 2" layers filled stacked and iced. Some people use a 3" deep pan as opposed to the 2" depth. The standard goal for depth of a cake when finished is 4". It does vary though according to the decorator -- some are 3" and some decorators go for deeper cakes. As for abbreviations -- most are just the first letters of each word EG: IMBC is Italian Meringue Butter Cream, SMBC=Swiss meringue butter cream, MMF = marshmallow fondant.
I hope this helps you!

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:23pm
post #4 of 4

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-2926-0-days0-orderasc-.html

hopefully you can click on the link above and it will take you to the page that has the commonly used abbreviations you were asking about.

if you cannot click on it go to the search tab at the top of the screen and search for "abbreviations" one of the results will be helpful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%