12X18 Sheet Cake Pricing Help!

Decorating By aprilmanning Updated 25 Apr 2008 , 2:52am by stephanie214

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 20

My husband deleted my price guide from the computer a few days ago. I wasn't that worried because I haven't sold a cake in a long time. Low and behold I got an order today from a potentially HUGE customer and now I need some pricing help. It's been so long that I've forgotten what I charged for cakes. haha!

She is ordering a 12x18 sheet cake for her husbands campaign. The cake is going to have an edible image (that I am going to have done at our local wal-mart and put it on the cake myself). Other than that it's a basic white cake with basic red, white and blue buttercream decorations.

What would you charge for this cake? Thanks. icon_smile.gif

19 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 20

Half sheets for me (12x18x3") are $130, base price. EI would be another $10.

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:56pm
post #3 of 20

I charge $75.00 for that size...can't say what I would charge for the image, I've never done one.. hope that helps icon_smile.gif

ddmckinney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddmckinney Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 20

I too charge $75 for a double layer 12X18. $5 more if they want filling between the layers, besides buttercream of course, and the edible image would be $10.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 20

I charge $38 for a single layer no filling... if I layer and fill it is $75 and then I would charge extra for the edible image, especially since you have to pay wally $5 I think and then your gas.... so I would say no less than $50 for a single and $90 for a filled double... JMO.... hth!

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 20

As we are all competitors we should not be discussing our specific pricing that is a violation of federal anti-trust laws. If anyone would like to find out more please pm me. I come in peace and don't want to start any trouble! I know it is a popular topic here just know that it is against federal anti-trust laws for competitors to discuss specific pricing.

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:14pm
post #7 of 20

I didn't see where you mentioned doubling/stacking the sheet so I am assuming you mean a single layer 12X18 sheet.

My base price for a single layer 12X18, with borders and writing is 45.00 (they feed 54).

If they add extras like an edible image, fondant accents, etc. the prices goes up.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:17pm
post #8 of 20

icon_wink.gif Never heard of that law before. Thanks for letting us know. Will you send me a link or copy of that law so that I can see why it's not legal to do so.

[email protected]

thanks

aprilmanning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprilmanning Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:23pm
post #9 of 20

Thanks for reminding me everyone... you've all been very helpful!! icon_smile.gif

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:24pm
post #10 of 20

Just so you know before you read my response...I am responding kindly...I know sometimes we can't tell on our computers...I would also love to know more about that law...are we all considered competitors even though we from all over the world? Don't we all price our product comparible to one another no matter what it is or where we sell it? (I personally do not sell my cakes professionally, I only do them for family and friends) But I would price mine based on comparible quality in my area.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amie202

As we are all competitors we should not be discussing our specific pricing that is a violation of federal anti-trust laws. If anyone would like to find out more please pm me. I come in peace and don't want to start any trouble! I know it is a popular topic here just know that it is against federal anti-trust laws for competitors to discuss specific pricing.

We are NOT in direct competition with each other, some not even in the same State or even country !.,..... I can't see where that law would apply to us.....

CarriM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarriM Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:27pm
post #12 of 20

Would we really be considered competitors when most of us are in different markets and would not likely have the same customers? I really don't know anything about this either, just curious. It seems strange to me that people in the same industry can't even discuss price???

Sorry to hijack the thread, I charge $1.50 per serving. Not sure off the top of my head how many that would serve.

crisc23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisc23 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:12pm
post #13 of 20

The law as stated doesn't apply to us. If we were "price fixing" it might have some bearing. But as we are only individuals giving advice regarding pricing in our area we are not affected by any issue under this law.

amie202 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amie202 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 20

This is the last I will say in this forum. It does apply to you. It does not matter that you are not in direct competition. Any discussion of price could be interpreted as intent to set a standard price for the industry. All I can do is URGE people not to discuss specific prices. I have been an antitrust attorney for 10 years an I promise you the discussions of price on cc have gotten way out of control and are primed for the justice department to come down hard. especially b/c it is based on the internet. I am really just trying to protect y'all and this forum b/c I love it so much. If you would like to learn more please pm me as I will not check into this forum again b/c I don't want to stir up trouble and I don't want to have any more contact with this discussion of price.

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241454.html

jackmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackmo Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 20

If i am in say, boston and you are in california, tell me how in the world it is against federal antitrust laws? I can't ne your competiter unless i am in the same city. don't bakeries post their prices on their websites?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #16 of 20

Oh for heavens sake.....what happened to the law of free speech...Oh and for my 2 cents worth....I charge $100.00 for my 12 x 18 slab cakes!!

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 20

I charge $45 for a single layer 18x12, buttercream only (no fondant). Includes almost any decor and a message. Hope that helps.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #18 of 20

i looked it up,and certaintly don't understand the whole legal mooble jumlbe crap.. let's use a bunch of big words nodody understands so we sound smart.. I don't see how it applies. I could see if walmart, krogers,publix,sweetbay,foodloin,sam's club, target, bj's meijers, and every other bakery got together and said this is the price for x cake $xx.xx and this is the price for z cake $zz.zz, it's not though. It's people asking an idea on a price you can charge what ever you want. Charge $400 for a sheet cake if you want.. will you get, it not likely. You want to see price fixing look into the oil indusrty.. talk about riping people off

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #19 of 20

I have to support the warning to be careful on this topic. It is written in the Sherman Act of 1890, with a follow up with the Clayton Anti-Trust Act of 1914, and the supplemental lawy, the area of my expertise, the Robinson-Patman Act of 1936.

When I worked in mfg'ing, I was STRICTLY PROHIBITED from even the impression that I was talking price between me and anyone who could be construed as another mfg'r of the product I made. If I managed to get my hands on a competitor's wholesale price list, I could be in violation of a federal crime just by having it in my posession.

The purpose is to prevent us all from getting together .... no matter where we are located ..... and saying, "You know, let's determine that that the price of a wedding cake will be $xx.xx minimum". It's called price fixing. If Cakery A can make a cake for $2.50/serving, but the "cake cartel" has said, "no no no .... you HAVE to sell it for $3.75/serving!" then the gov't's stance is this hurts the consumer.

Cartel .... oil pricing .... get it?

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 25 Apr 2008 , 2:52am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by amie202

This is the last I will say in this forum. It does apply to you. It does not matter that you are not in direct competition. Any discussion of price could be interpreted as intent to set a standard price for the industry. All I can do is URGE people not to discuss specific prices. I have been an antitrust attorney for 10 years an I promise you the discussions of price on cc have gotten way out of control and are primed for the justice department to come down hard. especially b/c it is based on the internet. I am really just trying to protect y'all and this forum b/c I love it so much. If you would like to learn more please pm me as I will not check into this forum again b/c I don't want to stir up trouble and I don't want to have any more contact with this discussion of price.

http://library.findlaw.com/1999/Jan/1/241454.html

Since amie202 is an attorney, we should heed her warning...this thread is now locked thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%