Stacking Cakes & Support

Decorating By auntsteff Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm by Shelly4481

auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 9:41am
post #1 of 3

I am making a double book pan cake for my mother's church as dessert for a fundraiser spaghetti dinner. I want to put 2-3 1/4 sheet cakes under the book to increase the amount of people that can be served. In my mind, I think it will look like a book on a table. The sheet cakes will be chocolate with chocolate cream cheese icing, and the book will be white with regular cream cheese icing & BC decorations. In my experience, chocolate is more popular than white, and the fundraiser is for the youth group at the church.

Once I get the sheet cakes done, I am going to need to put the book on something as a support. I have never put together this many cakes before, and I am a little nervous. I do have some cake boards, should I cut one to exactly match the size of the book? I am not comfortable with fondant, so that is out of the question for covering the cake board.

Any ideas/help is greatly appreciated!

2 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:08am
post #2 of 3

Hi auntsteff, If I'm doing that cake, I would cut the cardboard to the size of the book.
So you are going to put this book cake on top of the sheet cake? So before I do that I would insert some dowels or straws ( whetever you usualy use ) in to the sheet cake for more support.

I always cover my cake boards with fondant. I do this few days before. Then ones I cover the cake I put it on the board. But I don't know anything else that you can use to cover the board. Hope some one else can help you on this one.

HTH.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #3 of 3

For something quick you could cover the board in freezer paper. Grocery stores always have it and is food safe. Just an idea if you cant get any fancyfoil on short notice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%