Does Mmf Harden Like Regular Fondant?

Decorating By KaraCakes Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm by mconrey

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 3:37am
post #1 of 6

I've never tried MMf, but I'm thinking about taking the leap. What I need to know is if it gets hard enough to make figures and decorative items with. (Like Wilton... GAG) Or is it best suited for covering cakes? (In which case I would make the other items out of the yucky stuff, since they are less likely to be eaten. Thanks for helping me out... again.

5 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:56am
post #2 of 6

I use MMF all the time for figures and accent pieces on my cakes. I have only done a couple fondant covered cakes ever and it worked just fine.
I'm in Arizona and it's very dry here so I don't have any problem with the MMF hardening up fairly quickly. Usually overnight is good enough but often times I make the pieces a couple days ahead and they dry just fine.

KimAZ

ShondaJo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShondaJo Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:10am
post #3 of 6

MMF is all that I have ever used, it is so yummy and much less expensive than the wilton fondant.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:23am
post #4 of 6

I'd say it depends on where you live. I'm where the air is always humid and my fondant (MMF or store-bought) never dries hard. If you're making fugures that will not be eaten, you could always try gumpaste. I really like the Wilton gumpaste & it dries quicky and is hard as a rock.

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mconrey

I'd say it depends on where you live. I'm where the air is always humid and my fondant (MMF or store-bought) never dries hard. If you're making fugures that will not be eaten, you could always try gumpaste. I really like the Wilton gumpaste & it dries quicky and is hard as a rock.

mconrey-

I AM IN VISTA!!! So I guess I would have the same results as you. I haven't tried gumpaste either... icon_redface.gif Makes me sound so inexperienced, doesn't it? LOL I usually use Satin Ice Fondant, and I have been nothing but pleased, but the shipping is outrageous since it's heavy. Have you found any cake supply stores in North County that sells stuff other than Wilton? And as far as the gumpaste, do you use the gel colors for that? Thanks!

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:16pm
post #6 of 6

We'll then we're neighbors!

I love Satin Ice and Fondx both. There aren't many cake stores very close, but you can always try Pila's Pantry in Temecula or Do It With Icing in San Diego. However, with gas prices the way they are shipping costs might be cheaper than driving! Definitely try MMF too. It is not as easy to wrok with as the "real" stuff, but it tastes good and is very easy to make.

Try the Wilton gumpaste if you're doing figures. It is like fondant - yes you can use the gel colors. It just dries very quickly, so you can't leave it out long while you're working with it. And you really have to knead it a lot at first to get it a nice consistency to work with.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%