How Does A Cake Topper Stay On The Cake? Help!

Decorating By Dianne05 Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm by Jayde

Dianne05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dianne05 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:12am
post #1 of 9

I have chosen a Precious Moments piece as my cake topper for my parents 45h wedding anniversary. It doesn't have a flat bottom and I am VERY new to cake decorating as it is. I made my 1st 3 tier cake a couple of months ago as my practice one. It turned out great.

So how can I place my Precious Moment topper on my 3 tier cake without it falling over or sinking into the cake?

Melissa

8 replies
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:13am
post #2 of 9

Do you have a picture of the topper?

Dianne05 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:18am
post #3 of 9

Yes, it's this one here.

http://www.great-quotes.com/html/3394.html

It's for my parents anniversary.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 9

Hi, you can use some dowels or straws and a tiny board to support it and decorate around it to hide the board and avoid the "fall over", maybe fondant flowers??? HTH

reneemiracle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reneemiracle Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #5 of 9

I second all of nefgaby suggestions. I would also use butter cream to glue it or white candy melts. Good luck I can't wait to see the finished pictures.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reneemiracle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #6 of 9

if you are using buttercream icing, then you would just put a few dowels in the cake, then sit the topper on top, then the icing would hold it. i do it this way when i make the loop bow toppers . this will give it support . if it is fondant covered, do like nefgaby says. this sounds good too. like i said if it is buttercream, the icing will set up, and hold this figure. i transport it this way also or the customer takes it on that way. never had any problems.

Dianne05 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:54am
post #7 of 9

I am only using basic icing with icing sugar, milk etc. I made a practice one earlier this year and it came out pretty good for my first time.

I need more practice at smoothing my icing but overall I think it turned out well for not having absolutely no cake experience prior. I looked at some books.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www.realisticdrawing.com/cake/

Melissa

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:11am
post #8 of 9

I agree with all the above. Another thing you could do is if there is a hole in the bottom of the figure, you could put about 3-4 dowels in the hole to fill it enough that it wont wobble. then put them in the cake.

as for smoothing your cake, if you have icing that crusts.... wait about 10minutes and put viva paper towels on and smooth with your hand or I also use the fondant smoother.

would like to see it after its all done.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #9 of 9

The best suggestion that I could offer you would be to agree with everything everyone else said.

What I would do, is get yourself a dowel, and stick it partially into your cake, and put the hole in the bottom of the figurine over the dowel. That way it wont slide off, and will sit pretty level.

If it doesnt have a hole, you will have to make some BC or melt some chocolate, glob it on the top and stick it down on top of that. Use something to prop it up so it doesnt fall, while it dries.

The only other thing would be to get a SPS tube, and shove that down in your cake, and then place the figure on top. That will guarantee that the weight wont damage the cake, but it wont help with keeping it steady on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%