More Help Needed On Freezing Cakes!! Please Help

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm by srodts

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:16pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, So I see that a lot of us think it is okay to freeze a cake. How should I go about doing this. I like to aways use simple syrup on my cake. Should I spray the cake first and then freeze or wait till I thaw it out. How long to thaw out a small and very large cake. I don;t want to serve frozen cake to anyone. Can you ice a cake and then freeze it> Will the icing taste funny?
This is all new to me so all the advice is great. I'm kinda getting excited. I have been so stressed out lately because I feel like I haven't been able to really enjoy making cakes or life in general because I'm pushing so hard to get everything done in two night!!! I almost said the heck with it all and gave it up. I really need everyones advice on this
Thanks
Rachel

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 1:50am
post #2 of 4

I think you will find once you have frozen a cake you will not need to spray them at allicon_smile.gif
Why don't you experiement? Bake two layers at the same time; everything the same - size/temp/time etc etc. Prepare one for freezing and keep the other as you usually do.
To fz, turn cake out of pan & cool maybe 5 minutes. Wrap in several layers of plastic wrap (Or I used food-grade plastic bags) and place in fzr. Even if it's just overnight.
You could even bake three cakes - the 3rd one you could spray & fz. Compare each the next day. That's the only way you are going to be convienced that fzing won't hurt, but will help icon_smile.gif
Oh, forgot about thawing....of course that will depend on the size - a single layer under 10" probably will only take about 1 hr. A 16" can take up to 3 hrs. And any you have already torted & stacked (4" tall tiers) will take at least dbl those times - most likely longer.
What I try to do is plan ahead & defrost overnight in the frig. But I had a shop so had frig & fzr space to do thaticon_smile.gif You can defrost overnight by keeping them at room temp. if you don't have frig space. Or take out in the a.m. to work on them that afternoon or evening.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:02am
post #3 of 4

First thing... Breathe...chuckle icon_razz.gif

Second... The very best way to assure Yourself is to bake a "play" cake and do with it what you want to do, freeze, and defrost it... Think of yourself as the mad cake scientist...chuckle...

IMHO...

If you use syrup, then if it were me, I would wait until the cake was thawed, leveled, and torted, then I would brush the syrup over the cake and move on... I don't use it, so I'm not sure about this...

Small cakes thaw in less than an hour... Large cakes can take a couple of hours. There are differing opinions, but I leave my wrapped on the counter. Take them out to thaw, fill them, and then wrap them up to sit and settle overnight. Decorate the next day.

The cakes taste BETTER after freezing because they are more moist, and the cake has had time to settle...flavors included... It's not just OK to freeze...in my opinion, it is preferable to freeze... There are some that will freeze them just for a couple of hours to lock in the moisture.

I have not tried it...yet...but there are those that fill, and Then freeze... That is what I would love to do if possible... Just have not had the time to be the mad scientist yet...chuckle icon_razz.gif If you try it, let me know how it works!

Happy Baking,
Pat

srodts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodts Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 4

I freeze every cake i do, i bake, cool, fill, put a thin layer of frosting on it, then put in freezer. after frozen wrap in bag, and put back in freezer. Take it out in the morning to decorate that night. I dont know anything about simple syrup so I cant help with that. sorry. You can ice a cake and freeze it but be VERY careful cuz colored icing can bleed when thawed, other than that it tastes the same to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%