Your Wisdom/experiences Please...long

Business By mom42ws Updated 1 May 2008 , 7:03pm by mom42ws

cakechica27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechica27 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 10:06pm
post #31 of 37

I can see that many know how you feel! I'm also a mom of three, ages 8, 6, and 3. Yes, when I get very busy with cakes, my housekeeping starts to slide, but hubby usually helps out a lot. If I get too stressed out and start hating myself for taking 'just one more order', then I know it's time to start saying 'No' to an order here and there. (I've yet to regret saying no and having that extra time to tidy up and hang out with my family. The kids won't be little forever.)

I also have plans to open a little shop when the youngest begins elementary school. Right now, I'm putting the finishing touches on my business plan and scouting locations in our area. No rush.

Maybe you could make a personal weekly limit on cake orders? That might make it easier to say, "I'm sorry, but that week is full." It could help bring some balance into your home. I'm rooting for you! From one mom to another, good luck!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:43pm
post #32 of 37

Not to be simplistic, but you probably need to learn how to say "no." It's the word that will free you!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:39pm
post #33 of 37

I know how this feels....I'm gonna try the fly lady thing I think.....I just shined my sink!! LOL I work part time as a teacher's aide have 3 kids, do the cakes and have a terrible out of order house, 3 kids that do just about nothing but make messes (takes more energy getting them to clean things properly than to just do them myself) plus a helpless DH that does NOTHING around the house (he works full time and pays all the bills, because I make squat at the school, and cakes are unreliable as income right now)....and I am at my whit's end too!! Fly lady.....save me!!! lol

aemcd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aemcd Posted 1 May 2008 , 4:57pm
post #34 of 37

KHalstead,
Congrats on your clean and shiny sink!!! Good luck with the flylady. She is a life changer.
Your family sounds a lot like mine. But when I keep the sink shining even my husband tries to help out by at least putting away a dish or two.icon_smile.gif
Amy

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 1 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #35 of 37

The only thing I can seem to keep clean is the kitchen/work area. The rest of the house it has to wait until Mondays. Most of my work is done Tuesday through Saturday. Sunday, I might have a delivery but after that, I don't do anything unless I have enough energy to cook. Monday, I start cleaning on my way to the bathroom...I put in a load of laundry and that starts the ball rolling.

I know it is a quite different scenario when kids are in the mix. My youngest is 15 and I only keep my grandson during the weekdays. A lot of my work is done while everyone else sleeps...at night.

maggz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggz Posted 1 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #36 of 37

i hope im not late with giving any advice. i actually just started an account yesterday and saw your post as interesting... i hope to a bakery business owner one day as well... im dreaming as of now icon_smile.gif i too have 2 children... 4 and 15 months old. i can really understand where your coming from with not having enough time or trying to find your "flow"... i can only give advice with organizing your time and such... and what i would do if i was in your shoes as of now.
1. im a very organized almost anal person about keeping everything in its own time slot... so when i wake i do the same thing every morn which is watch good morning america and wake up.. relax until the kids get up ready to go for the day. its def a great idea to have some alone time in the morn to yourself especially with your mind racing at all time. if you can get some cleaning done in early morning great, if not try to do it at night... maybe after your children are asleep just try to do some small things. putting things back in place, doing a small amount of dishes and setting up things for the next day... but i would def make things as easy as possible with keep things organized, less cluttered as possible and not loading your day full to the top. maybe you need to rethink about how many cake projects you should be doing or taking on... god bless you for doing what you are but it def wouldnt hurt to rethink about how much you can handle along with taking care of your family. i hope hubby is helping out, def utilize him in helping with chores and the kids icon_smile.gif if your children are old enough give them some small chores to do with a reward system. just like picking up toys, or folding some clothes or such... just think of small things that would def help you even if you think it wouldnt, it will in the long run. i wish you all the best of luck with your business. i think you can do it if you def just make a routine for yourself and try not to over load your plate. get plenty of rest and keep in mind your doing a great job even when you thinnk everything is falling apart.
i hope the best for you and your family... wish i was closer i would def love to help. icon_smile.gif

maggz- new hampshire area
i hope i wasnt just blabbing... icon_smile.gif

mom42ws Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom42ws Posted 1 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #37 of 37

thanks everyone for all the advice and many of you have more than just two kids and have a busier business. you're superwomen! icon_smile.gif

ashley

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%