Help With Cakes For Adult Men!

Decorating By korensmommy Updated 26 May 2008 , 3:41pm by 7yyrt

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:08am
post #1 of 22

I am always totally stumped when I get cake requests for adult men, usually grandpa-aged men!
The requests always come from the wife and they are very vague with what they want.
Most recently, I have an upcoming cake for a man's 60th birthday. I would like to make it something exciting, but have no ideas!
Can anyone post pictures/links of their favorite cakes for a guy?

21 replies
YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:06am
post #2 of 22

I just made this one for a 50th...birthday boy likes golf so....there u go...try and find out if they have a hobby/pastime of some sort and incorporate that
LL

shannonann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannonann Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:30am
post #3 of 22

I have been asked to make a cake for a 70 year old man. I am going to attempt a "Road of Life" cake. Do a search in the galleries to see some pictures.

korensmommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:58am
post #4 of 22

Thanks for your help. I searched in the galleries already and just wanted some other alternatives when the person who orders it just says "oh, just make it look nice!"
YummyFireMummy, the bottom tier of your cake is great--colors and style for a guys cake.

gracecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gracecakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:14pm
post #5 of 22

Hi,
I would call her back and insist on a little more detail. The guy has to have an interest or a former interest that he can be reminded of. He may have grandkids that love him or something that you can incorporate. If at the least he has grand kids maybe you could make the cake look like a drawing that they made for him saying "best grandpa in the world" or something like that.
Good luck.

jillycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillycakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #6 of 22

I had a request for a cake for a man (and his daughter) and the person ordering didn't have any idea what she wanted -- just wanted it to be masculine and not flowery. Although not very exciting, this is what I came up with:
LL

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:17pm
post #7 of 22

You might check in groom's cakes for an idea.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

DoniB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoniB Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 12:26pm
post #8 of 22

I'm always stumped, too. Here's one I did recently for my FIL's 60th. He's a huge chess fan, but this could easily be adapted for checkers. If the guy likes card games, maybe make a square cake that looks like a table top, with a game of cards in progress? Just thinking out loud... can't wait to see what other folks come up with! icon_smile.gif Good luck!
LL

korensmommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:15pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks for everyones ideas. I guess my real problem is that this woman (and most others) don't want a carved cake or a theme cake. They just want the plain ol' 9" round 2 layers with basic decorations! I guess I am looking for ways to spice that up but having difficulties keeping it 'manly'.

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 22

this is my manly cake. snickers cheesecake with chunks of snickers baked right in icon_smile.gif
LL

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 7:56pm
post #11 of 22

Could you google Debbie Brown's website? She has a book just for men's cakes. If you click on the cover it'll show you all the cakes in her book. Hers are mostly carved though so I'm not sure how helpful it'd be.

korensmommy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:02pm
post #12 of 22

pottedmeatchunks, that is the yummiest cake I've seen in a while! That is a great suggestion, thanks.
Bellatheball, I will check out Debbi Brown, didn't know she had a man's cake book. I'm sure I can get some fresh ideas from there.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 11:48am
post #13 of 22

I did this one last weekend. I was just told to do a cake for his 80th birthday. Colors and style didn't matter. It's kind of plain, but I thought it looked like a generic masculine cake should.
LL

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 12:29pm
post #14 of 22

DoniB ...Love the chess cake ! I love all the cakes, some real good ideas and flavor,s on this thread.

korensmommy Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 4:45pm
post #15 of 22

jammjenks, thanks for the photo. It's a great 'man cake'!
That's the type of request I often get for a guys cake....color/style don't matter. I have plenty of ideas for feminine cakes, but I get stumped when it comes to masculine cakes. I worry that my color/style is not their color/style and would like to have some ideas ready to show people.

jessi01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessi01 Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 12:07pm
post #16 of 22

I did this one for a mans 60th birthday, the only thing they told me was his favorite color is green.....
LL

korensmommy Posted 26 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #17 of 22

Thanks Jessi01 for another example of what I'm searching for!
Something different but not feminine.

korensmommy Posted 25 May 2008 , 4:26am
post #18 of 22

Here is the cake design she chose. The colors match her plates/cups.
LL

sistersorefeet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistersorefeet Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:40pm
post #19 of 22

I did this one for my sisters father in law, who loves his garden.Image

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 25 May 2008 , 10:54pm
post #21 of 22

I just made one for a 65 year old man, he loved it. It is in my photos. I tried to put a link here but it did not work for some reason.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 26 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #22 of 22

Guys around here seem to like simple cakes - chocolate, with or without slabs or curls; geometric shapes; coconut- or nut-covered. Hobby oriented if you want something 'fancy'.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%