I Need Everyones Advice

Decorating By rachpizano Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 3:22am by alanahodgson

rachpizano Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachpizano Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:42am
post #1 of 22

How far in advance do you bake cakes? I love doing cakes but I'm really getting tired of working all night long to get cakes done. I really need some help
Thanks
Rachel

21 replies
YummyFireMummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyFireMummy Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:51am
post #2 of 22

I usually cook my cakes 1 or 2 days before decorating. I make mud cake though so not sure if it makes a difference with different types of cakes....mudcake usually stays fresh for ages

aliciaL_77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciaL_77 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #3 of 22

I have baked them a week in advance and frozen them (well wrapped of course)

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #4 of 22

I usually do them the same day if they're simple, but up to 2-4 days in advance if they're complex. Sometimes I'll use a simple syrup spray on them to keep them moist, or a liquor. Usually I'll just wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and keep them in the fridge. I honestly find that they're moister and sturdier after refrigeration.

koalabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koalabear Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 1:53am
post #5 of 22

I just decorate for family and friends but I usually bake one night and decorate the next morning. Depending, of course when I want it done. I may bake in the morning and start decorating later in the afternoon depending upon my schedule.

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:02am
post #6 of 22

I do a lot of baking and freezing ahead of time. I might bake the weekend before, make the fondant another day (has to cure overnight anyway). Icing I like to make the day I'm putting it on the cake because it usually goes on smoother when its freshly made. If I'm really pressed for time, I'll put my icing on one night and lay the fondant and decorations the next. Because I work full time besides my cake thing, I just have to work this way.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:45am
post #7 of 22

I do mine in this order lol..

1st night I make my bc and bake my cakes..

next morning... I fill my cakes.. that night (after settling) I trim sides (to get the bulge out THANKS SHARON FOR THAT TIP icon_biggrin.gif ) and ice..

next morning I'll decorate and either deliver or wrap and deliver next day.. sooo...
2 to 3 days for me icon_smile.gif

rachpizano Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 22

I have always just baked everything Thursday and decorated Friday. We just have too many orders for that any more. Do you think I can get away with baking on Wed then decorating Thursday and Friday for a Sat cake. Maybe spray the cake with "cake spray" (simple syrup) and put in the fridge.

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 22

If you are working on a wedding cake....good lord girl get some rest and bake ahead!!I always start baking on Wednesday for a Sat wedding!! Nothing wrong with freezing well wrapped cake for a day or two. As someone said they will be moist and more sturdy. Just make sure and let them thaw before icing them!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:23pm
post #10 of 22

Definately bake on Wed, if not Tues, for a Sat cake.
When you have so many orders you cannot handle baking the same day or even the night before there is *nothing wrong* w/baking a day or two ahead! As everyone else said, wrap well (I use food grade plastic bags) and pop into the fzr for a day or two. You will be very surprised how wonderful those cake will taste icon_smile.gif

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 22

I usually bake the weekend before and freeze for a few days. It saves so much time. I only have a few hours at a time to bake/decorate (wait until my 2 yr. old DS is asleep) so if I didn't bake and freeze ahead of time, I'd never get any cakes decorated. icon_smile.gif

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 22

I ALWAYS freeze my cakes, sometimes up to 3 or 4 weeks. As long as they are well wrapped and you thaw them properly, you will be fine. I also make a ton of BC in advance- that to me is the most time-consuming and messy job for me..........

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 22

I bake Sunday and Monday for the following Saturday and freeze them. Monday I make the BC, MMF and prepare fillings. Tuesday I fill them and cover in fondant. Wed, TH and Fri I stack and decorate! (they are in and out of the fridge from Tues forward).

I have a 1 yr old and a 3 yr old so I don't work on cakes until about 9:30-10pm (I sit on my butt for a bit) and try to get to bed by midnight.

I use creamer for part of the water and make damned sure that they don't bake too long. Everyone raves about my cakes, so I see no reason to stress out by trying to finish a cake in 2 evenings.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 22

I agree with everyon else. Bake everything a few days ahead of time and freeze. You will find if you do a little bit each day it doesn't drain you so much when you go to put the cake together.

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:21pm
post #15 of 22

great ideas!!! thanks for sharing.
question: what is a mud cake? sounds interesting.

CelebrationCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CelebrationCakery Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #16 of 22

I see a lot of people freezing...well wrapped cakes...can any of you just go through how you wrap your cakes? What are you using to wrap? How long do you let them thaw before decorating? And do you crumb coat before you freeze???

Nette2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nette2007 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:38pm
post #17 of 22

For a Sat. order i usually bake on a Wed. and wrapped in saran wrap very well...then on thurs. i level, fill, and crumb coat the cake. Also on thurs. i will make the frosting if i feel up to it...on Friday i will frost and decorate. I find this alot easier for me, rather than trying to do everything in 2 days. By the way, anyone have any suggestions on how to keep my cake moist? The last cake i did it was sorta dry..everyone loved it, but i wasn't thrilled with it...I use the Almond Sour Cream Wedding Cake recipe that has been posted here and there on cake central..What can i do to keep my cakes moist????? Help!

rachpizano Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #18 of 22

how long does it take a BIG cake to thaw?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:08pm
post #19 of 22

What do you mean by big? 12 x 18 cakes thaw in about an hour or two at the most. They thaw pretty quickly...it isn't like frozen meat that takes many hours.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 8:25pm
post #20 of 22

The most I like to bake in advance is one week. I haven't been able to do that recently, so I'll bake Tuesday or Wednesday, wrap in plastic wrap and foil and decorate Friday night. I have a full time job, so I bake when I get home from work. - Yeah, my family hates me during the summer! icon_smile.gif

rachpizano Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 2:06am
post #21 of 22

Does anyone else have some great advice about freezing the cakes. Like how to go about wrapping them. Thanks
Rachel

alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 3:22am
post #22 of 22

plastic wrap, and if it fits into a ziplock, put it in there. If not, I usually wrap another layer of plastic wrap. Longer than a week or two....aluminum foil and/or freezer paper.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%