Fondant...store Bought, Ordered Or Make It?

Decorating By Briniga Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 5:14am by Briniga

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 8

Which do you gals do? If you buy it at the store, you have to flavor it, otherwise it tastes awful!! I tried to flavor store bought with apple & I just didnt use enough I guess, it was gross!!!

7 replies
cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 8

As far as buying it goes -- there are good ones out there -- just not Wilton's. There is no way to flavor Wilton's into something good. Some of the favorite purchased brands are fondex, satin Ice and chocopan.
I personally make my own because I am a hobby baker and don't do a lot of cakes - just family occasions. I also found that making it really isn't difficult. I currently use Toba Garrett's recipe but have been told that Michelle Foster's recipe is really good too. Both recipes are found in the recipe section of this site.

Briniga Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 8

Ok, I will try to make it. Where do you get fondex, satin Ice and chocopan? Thanks

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 8

I also prefer to make my own. I know some people hate to make it but I will do it b/c I love the taste. It is also soooooooo much cheaper to make than buy. Give it a try and see what you think. Look in recipes for MMF (Marshmallow Fondant).

cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:08am
post #5 of 8

I tried to post earlier but got dropped from the server so here it is -- Chocopan and Satin Ice are available through Global Sugar Art. Fondex is available through the link posted below or caljavaonline. You may be able to find suppliers closer to you but this is what I could find on the google search. It is very difficult to get some brands here in Canada. I still prefer making my own and have tried Marshmallow fondant but found it too sweet and hard to work with. I love Toba's recipe.

http://www.cakecarousel.com/cakecarousel/cakecarousel.html?action=showitems&id=7

Briniga Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:12am
post #6 of 8

Thanks both of you!

cake-angel Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:13am
post #7 of 8

You are Welcome!! Always glad to help!

Briniga Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:14am
post #8 of 8

I wouldn't know what I would do without this site & everyones help!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%