Whipped Cream Icing For Wedding In July??

Decorating By Chef_Stef Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm by elainec

Chef_Stef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Stef Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 11

Now I've heard everything.

So this bride (second marriage, biggest diamond I've ever seen), has paid her deposit and tried samples. So far, she does not like IMBC ("too waxy"), doesn't like Sylvia Weinstock's yellow cake ("too dense, can you add 7-UP to it to make it lighter?" Sure, I LOVE baking advice), doesn't like Colette Peters' chocolate cake ("what are my options for a lighter chocolate cake?" icon_confused.gif )

And she keeps going on about some wedding cake 30 years ago that she thinks had some sort of whipped cream type icing.

Money's no object, so now she's thinking of doing mousse-filled specialty flavor sheet cakes for the back and a display dummy outside (for this outside wedding in July). BUT now she's sent me looking for a whipped cream-type icing, or actual whipped cream I suppose.

I'm sure I can ice the cakes with stabilized whipped cream but HOW THE HECK am I supposed to drive them anywhere? I have about an hour in the car to the reception site, and I don't have a refridgerated van...!

Anyone? Should I even bother with this or just tell her she can't have whipped cream?

Good thing is, this cake just went from costing around $400, to costing more like $700.

10 replies
delisa01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delisa01 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:00pm
post #2 of 11

Can you use Pastry Pride or Rich's Bettercream? I believe are both very similar to whip cream.

Chef_Stef Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks. How does either of them hold up in heat--assuming I could find them?

I've never seen either, but at this point I'm really not willing to go much more out of my way for this woman. She can take what I make (Toba's decorator BC or IMBC), or she can go somewhere else. icon_razz.gif

DaisyLisa17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyLisa17 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #4 of 11

Why dont you advise her that a whipped cream icing may not be the best choice for an outside wedding in the middle of the summer? Surely she would understand that...seems like a "duh" is in order!

Good Luck!

Chef_Stef Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:22am
post #5 of 11

Duh is right...I did that.

She suggested that we make a full dummy display cake and keep whipped cream topped, mousse filled sheet cakes in the back fridge. Fine, BUT I still don't see how the trip for an hour in the car will do them any good.

My cake supply store here has Bettercream as it turns out, so I'm going to get some tomorrow and take her three MORE samples, to see if I can get her to *like* one of them. icon_confused.gificon_razz.gif

I mean, who says, "These are good cakes, but I mean ...no one's going to be coming back asking for seconds." ?? icon_evil.gif (I should pass that comment on to Colette and Sylvia Weinstock and see what THEY have to say about it)

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 8:50am
post #6 of 11

better cream actually holds up pretty well in heat, not direct blazing heat .BUT it does seal itself and become a stiffer yet sticky icing.
I also add cream stabilizer to the rich's and it holds shape more and gets closer to a crust than by itself.

Chef_Stef Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 10:07pm
post #7 of 11

Well, I got the Bettercream and used it on her samples, and it seems OK to work with, easy to make anyway. It seems best if you work quickly or it gets mousse-y. It reminds me of the filling in a Twinkie. I always have that twinge of "If it's non-dairy...What IS this stuff?", but it tastes great with the chocolate cake, so I hope it's what she wanted.

And...If she turns up her nose at Toba Garrett's lemon coconut cake filled with lemon curd and coconut dacquoise and iced with this stuff, I'm giving her the boot.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:53am
post #8 of 11

I would too! thumbs_up.gif

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 5:58pm
post #9 of 11

Another member had suggested this. I tried it and it is so delicious! I made whipped cream, with the regular icing sugar, BUT I added powdered vanilla pudding! It held up very well, and didn't fall apart even after staying out for over an hour. the color was like a soft yellow, but I guess you can use white chocolate pudding mix to keep it white.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 11

Hey, I think that i have met you before in Millbrook. I would use buttecream made w/ all shortening and butter flavoring. Adding the meringue powder and a little Karo will help the flavor. the whipped recipe sounds good for the dummy cake but only IF you can keep an air conditioning vent all the way to destination and keep it covered. This
Al. heat and humidity can even destroy BC.. if the heat, humidity and sunlight get to it!!!!!! Also another chocolate to try is either german chocolate.

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 11

Hey, I think that i have met you before in Millbrook. I would use buttecream made w/ all shortening and butter flavoring. Adding the meringue powder and a little Karo will help the flavor. the whipped recipe sounds good for the dummy cake but only IF you can keep an air conditioning vent all the way to destination and keep it covered. This
Al. heat and humidity can even destroy BC.. if the heat, humidity and sunlight get to it!!!!!! Also another chocolate to try is either german chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%