Doctored Red Velvet Cake Mix.....awesome!

Decorating By estherwheat Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 5:03am by milissasmom

estherwheat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
estherwheat Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:41am
post #1 of 6

I had to make a red velvet cake for a birthday at work and didn't have a lot of time, so I picked up the DH mix. I wanted to wow it up a bit but couldn't find a "tried and true" recipe, so I just added "this and that" and it turned out delicious! What I added to the package instructions was sour cream- about a cup, 1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans and about half of a bag of choco chips (Tolehouse).

The people at work raved about this more than any other cake I have ever made. I thought it was pretty good, too!!!

OK, so now my question is this....

How do you keep the chocolate chips suspended while baking? Mine seemed to settle at the bottom. No one seemed to notice except for me.

icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:19am
post #2 of 6

I've heard that if you dust them with flour before you add them to the mix, they'll stay suspended.

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:28am
post #3 of 6

Congrats! it sounds yummy, must try it soon. Thanks for sharing

isabelianico Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
isabelianico Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #4 of 6

Yep! That is exactly what Ruth0209 said. If you toss the chocolate chips in flour before you put them in the cake mix then they don't sink to the bottom. I also heard that if you use miniature chocolate chips that they don't sink either. Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #5 of 6

that what i do to raisins and choco chips,and nuts dust with flour..

milissasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milissasmom Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 5:03am
post #6 of 6

I would have never ever thought to add chocolate chips and pecans to a red velvet mix! Must try this one...I am a HUGE Red Velvet baker (from scratch) but would love to find a QUICK version for my home cakes! Thanks for this!! ALSO, when I add chocolate chips to a cake, I dust them as well and add them last and don't stir them in too much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%