American Girl "addy"

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 8 May 2008 , 10:52am by pottedmeatchunks

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! I need help with this one. The cake is for a 9 yr old girl and needs to feed 35. I thought of the doll cake pan, but will that make the dress to full and frilly? Plus that won't feed 35 so I would need to stick it on or next to something. Does Addy have some sort of story line I can tie into the cake? I know there are tons of books out there.

I am not against sheet cakes, and this cake is for charity so I want to make it neat but not too expensive to make. Thanks!

6 replies
kimberlina25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimberlina25 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 7

from what i saw on the american girl website, addy has a quilt. i think it would be cute to do the doll cake of addy and do a sheet cake of the quilt ( i know you said you would prefer to not do that,but its just an idea.) here is the link of the quilt.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/html/ProductPage.jsf/itemId/3417/itemType/FG/webTemplateId/3/uniqueId/256/saleGroupId/198

also, i don't think the doll pan will be to full or fluffy for her dress.

HTH thumbs_up.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:08am
post #3 of 7

Aww, I love this!

My daughter, who is just a few weeks from graduating from college, read all the Addy books and I read them with her. I love those American Girl books!

If you need more help, please let me know. I'm sure my daughter and I could come up with something if you can't find anything.

http://store.americangirl.com/agshop/static/addydoll.jsf/title/Addy/saleGroupId/0/uniqueId/41/nodeId/11/webMenuId/5/LeftMenu/TRUE

pottedmeatchunks Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 7

thank you ladies! I think I've decided on a doll cake accompanied by the quilt sheet cake. Thanks for the good ideas thumbs_up.gif

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 7

I think the doll cake pan is a great idea. A couple years ago in the 2002 yearbook, wilton was having a Doll contest. In additon to the standard doll cakes made with the wonder mold, they had many made using the Storybook Doll cake pan. On page 103 of the 2002 yearbook they have a cake called a Portrait Cake.

It shows a real little girl holding a doll cake that is decorated to look just like her. Everything from the hair to the clothes matched. You could totally use this pan to make Addy. Here is a link to an image showing this portrait cake and some other doll cakes made with the pan.

http://thepartyworks.com/images/doll22.jpg

The great thing about American Girl dolls is they have very distinctive features. The hair, eye color, freckles, accesories, outfits. The cake in the book uses fondant for the clothing and shoes and buttercream with the star tip for the hair and skin.

Anyhow, good luck and can't wait to see your cake.

Gen

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 7 May 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 7

I'd love to see the cake when it's done. My girls love American girl. We're taking each of them to lunch on their b-days at American girl. They are so excited.....I was looking for ideas for American Girl, but wanted to do cupcakes.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 8 May 2008 , 10:52am
post #7 of 7

Hi Chassidy!

I'm sorry I was unable to take a pic. My camera was lost (now refound) at the time icon_sad.gif But it was a very cute doll cake. Highly recommend thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%