Help My Ganache Has Chunks...

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm by Karabear1125

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 10

What am I doing wrong that my Ganache is forming chips & chunks?

Here is what I do. I take my cream let it come to a very light boil (when itâs hot and the bubbles are forming along the rim. I add my semi-sweet chips (BJâs brand). I then begin to whisk, whisk & whisk until all the chocolate have melted and blend in. It is a rich Hershey chocolate bar color. I then put it in a bowl, place Saran wrap on the mix. I also apply some press & seal wrap on the rim of the bowl. Let it cool on the counter for 10 minutes & then put it on the refrigerator. This is done while the cake is in the oven. About 2 hours later I remove to begin decorating the cake. I place the ganache in the mixer and beat, there are chunks of chocolate formed the mix. Should I be using the Whisk to whip it to a spreadable consistence? What am I doing wrong? Help.

Thanks,

9 replies
mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 10

do you run your ganache through a strainer after all has melted??? You have to do this to get any chunks out

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 10

All of the ganache recipes I've read say to pour the hot cream over the chocolate, cover, and let sit for about 5 min. Then whisk it. I've never had a problem doing it that way. I've used everything from sem-sweet choc. chips to high quality choc. and it always seems to end up smooth. Try that procedure and see if it works better.
You can nuke the ganache in the microwave for several sec. at a time, whisk in between and it should still come right together.
HTH

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 10

You pour your chips in the hot milk?
You should have your chocolate in a stainless steel bowl....boil the heavy cream THEN pour that over the chips....let it sit for a while, then whisk.
I have never had to strain mine.

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:24pm
post #5 of 10

Whisking it?

I learned that after letting it sit for a few minutes to soften, you should stir it very slowly until it is combined and melted thoroughly ... whipping it incorporates cool air into it. Maybe you could try using a large spoon and stirring it very slowly and see if that helps.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 10

If there are chunks in the finished product, you can remelt it gently. sounds like it just wasn't all melted.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 10

I pour the chips into the just-under-simmering-hot cream. I do use a whisk, but to stir it ... not whisking it like beating egg whites.

Are you wanting a spreadable ganache or a pourable ganache? If you want it pourable, I wouldn't refrigerate it at all. Mine goes from simmering hot cream to being poured over the cake in about 5 minutes.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:36pm
post #8 of 10

...yes, thats what I meant....stir it with the whisk....

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:01am
post #9 of 10

Thanks everyone. I am going to try the pouring cream on to the chips. This is a new problem I had with my last two cakes. Before that it worked fine but I wasn't trying to whip it up into a spreadable type of finish you know the light chocolate look. I am off to give it a try now.

Thanks again.

Karabear1125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karabear1125 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #10 of 10

Yep I also pour my milk over the chips and let sit for a good 5-10 minutes before slowly stirring it, whisking it incorporates air bubbles like brandi mentioned.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%