Wedding Cake Fell, How Much Do I Refund? (Long)

Decorating By Cakenator Updated 20 May 2008 , 12:39am by diane

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 15 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #61 of 70

dbrider,
Please keep us up to date on your situation as well. Will you post on your last update posts or start a new one? I still can only shake my head when I think about your difficult "customer".

caseyjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caseyjo Posted 16 May 2008 , 4:40pm
post #62 of 70

i agree with everyone here, but i find it hard to believe that the thumping from speakers made the cake fall. there are so many factors that could contribute to this happening, but i doubt that solely it's the dj's fault. especially if it was at the beginning of the night w/ older people at the wedding. (just playing devil's advocate) and i decorate cakes and my DH is a dj. icon_smile.gif

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 18 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #63 of 70

Caseyjo-

Don't say you agree with what everyone else has posted when you obviously don't.

It seems that you are implying that I delivered a shoddy cake.

Since your "DH" is a DJ why don't you do us all a favor and set up a cake in front of some speakers with the bass all the way up for about five minutes to see what happens.

For the record the cake fell while the DJs were screwing around BEFORE the wedding started.

Futhermore, this website is supposed to provide support for people NOT for others to play devil's advocate and suggest that the cake decorator sold a sub-par product.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:13am
post #64 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakenator

For the record the cake fell while the DJs were screwing around BEFORE the wedding started.

As the caterer who is setting up during this same time period, I notice the DJ's play the music REALLY LOUD during this time. Maybe I'm just getting old, but it's so loud that it's irritating (and I'm the person who the granddaughter screams at from the backseat, "Turn the radio down, gramma!!"). It vibrates in my ears and I can feel the thumping in my chest.

now, when the guests start to arrive, it's nice dinner music being played at a conversation level..... not as loud and irritating.

I understand that during set up, they are making sure everything is working ok, so I refrain from asking them to turn it down ... but it IS played REALLY loud before the guests start to arrive.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 18 May 2008 , 3:35am
post #65 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyjo

... but i find it hard to believe that the thumping from speakers made the cake fall...

Are you joking?!!! icon_surprised.gif

Ok, let me give you the scientific reason why the THUMPING of speakers can make a cake fall (btw - I have a degree in Physics so I know a little about sound propagation):
Sound is essentially mechanical vibrations. The more bass and volume coming out of the speakers the harder the vibrations. Placing a speaker in close proximity to a cake is the same as the earth quaking under a skyscraper. The building will fall if the earthquake is strong enough!!

Does this make it a little clearer? Cakes are built to stand up for reasonable periods with minimal disturbance not mini earthquakes.

BTW cakenator... you didn't owe them a refund. You were the victim of poor space planning!

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 18 May 2008 , 5:56pm
post #66 of 70

Just so no one believes speakers won't hurt a cake and then have a disaster...

Once, in our brick church sanctuary, with brick walls inside and all brick outside, the music was loud enough that the gutters outside were rattling.

I've watched heavy drinking glasses dance across the kitchen table when the music was thumping through the house (I live with musicians and music lovers).

I've had items fall of my wall shelf of collectibles when the music was blarring.

No problem at all for a cake to fall if it shakes long enough and hard enough.

8YourCakeUp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
8YourCakeUp Posted 19 May 2008 , 5:43am
post #67 of 70

Someone just got owned. Thrice.

Cakenator- You should have kept the money and ate the cake yourself. It looked delicious. The note you sent along with the refund was priceless.
Keep on truckin'

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 19 May 2008 , 2:26pm
post #68 of 70

cakenator & caseyjo,

I don't want to get involved, but I think what caseyjo was trying to say/do was for you to look at all possible angles. Yes, this forum is supposed to be supportive and all that good stuff, but personally, I would also like it to be honest and get others' perspective that perhaps I may not have thought of. I really don't think caseyjo meant to say that you delivered a shoddy cake.

Cakenator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenator Posted 19 May 2008 , 9:50pm
post #69 of 70

I'm sorry that I was offended and responded back... MY BAD

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 20 May 2008 , 12:39am
post #70 of 70

When the cake is set up at delivery place and signed by contact person the cake decorator is no longer responsible for the cake(s).[/quote]

i so agree! icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif
this is an absolute must in every cake decorator's contract!!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%