Outdoor Wedding Cake Question

Business By vickster Updated 9 May 2008 , 10:30am by CoveredInCake

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 8

I had a request for a wedding cake this week for an outdoor wedding. It's over Memorial day weekend and we're talking Arkansas. The temperatures could get up to the 80s. I'm assuming buttercream with real butter is not a wise idea. How about the BC that uses the hi ratio shortening? Will it hold up if the temperatures get high? I had recommended going with fondant, but I'm not sure this little gal can afford that. Believe it or not, she's super laid back on the design and would just about let me tell her what I could make for her. That's a switch, eh.

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #2 of 8

My BC held up in 90 degree heat and super high August humidity for over 5 hours outside in a tent. I spent the whole day sipping water and I was smart enough to have brought a hand towel with me to wipe the sweat off of my face all dang day (NOW do you understand why I stopped wearing makeup? icon_lol.gif ). Indiana humidity is so heavy, you actually walk bent over.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 8

My daughter's wedding was in August at the beach in North Carolina. I used the BC with shortening and had no problems. Between the heat and the humidity, the cake held up well! I think it was at least 90 degrees.
Leslie

Erdica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Erdica Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 10:27pm
post #4 of 8

My first wedding ever was outside in a barn. It was 98 degrees and humid in Ohio. I use shortening in my BC as well as a stabilizer. It held up no problem. The only issue they had was a cat jumped on the cake table and started to eat the back corner of the cake. I guess that's what you get for having your wedding in a barn. icon_razz.gif

blues-butterfly66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blues-butterfly66 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:02am
post #5 of 8

My first wedding cake was for a couple that got married in sunny Florida (HOT). I used all shortening w/ a stabilizer. The cake looked great and held up with no problems. Rebecca

vickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickster Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 8

Okay, dumb question. What's a stabilizer?

blues-butterfly66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blues-butterfly66 Posted 9 May 2008 , 12:12am
post #7 of 8

I use wiltons meringue powder in my buttercream icing as a stabilizer . Send me your email address and I'll send you the recipe [email protected]

CoveredInCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoveredInCake Posted 9 May 2008 , 10:30am
post #8 of 8

Just wanted to say Hi to a fellow Arky. icon_smile.gif Good luck with the cake! I'm sure it will be wonderful.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%