Baking Newbie

Baking By dmcclend Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm by dmcclend

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 4

This is a silly math question? How should I take a recipe that is made for a 8, 9, or 10 inch pan down to a 6 inch pan? Should I just half all of these recipe's sizes or is there a special formula for doing this? I would like to do a sampling of different cakes to find the ones I like best, but I do not want 5, 9 inch cakes around the house! Also, does cutting ingredients affect the final product? Thanks

3 replies
thecakebox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakebox Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:38am
post #2 of 4

I don't know about a formula, but I usually will just cut the recipe in half and use whatever is left over from my 6 inch to make cupcakes with icon_smile.gif Certain recipes can be affected by scaling, but I haven't come across a problem with the basic recipes I have tried. I think the biggest problem I get is when you have an odd number of eggs (I hate that!) If that happens, I will usually just freeze the extra cake and if I don't like the taste, use it for practice later. Hope this helps...

babyqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babyqueen Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:35pm
post #3 of 4

All wilton books have the cake pans and amount of cups of batter to use in them. I don't always agree with their amounts, but it tells you the ratio so you know what percentage to use in a smaller pan.

dmcclend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmcclend Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks Babyqueen and Thecakebox
I am going to try to cut the recipes and see what happens to the final product. Thanks again for the great suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%