Vent: Had To Say "not Right Now" To More Business!

Business By Swede-cakes Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 10:01am by TheButterWench

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:23pm
post #1 of 11

Have you ever wanted to cry, curse and kick yourself in the butt at the same time?

Background: I made two cakes for a friend yesterday, for her son's 1st birthday party (over 30 people), plus a mini version of the big birthday cake for a "smash cake". The kid cakes were choc w/ BC and the grown-ups had a butter gold w/ choc BC filling and dark choc ganache. My son and I dropped the cakes off, and they were busy getting ready for guests, so they didn't pop the boxes open while I was there.

I JUST got a call from her this morning, and she said there were so many people at the party who loved the cakes, they asked her for my phone number. I'm flattered and would love to do more cakes, but the hitch is: I'm not licensed yet. I'm still filling out my application, and waiting for my water test kit to arrive. I did her cakes simply b/c I love doing them for people.

After reading a thread on CC a few weeks ago about not taking chances with getting caught and fined, I felt I had no choice but to tell her that I'm not licensed yet to actually sell cakes, but am working on it. I explained that since we live in a smaller bedroom community type town, if those friends of hers loved their cakes as well, and told more people, that it may get around to someone who would get me in trouble before my paperwork is approved. She said she totally understood, and asked me if she could give them my number in a few weeks. I said it might be done then, but that I'd call her to let her know when I'm official. Did I do the right thing?

Thanks for your input. I'm going to grab a spoon now and eat the leftover ganache. Nothing like a sunny day and a spoon full of chocolate to wash away a little frustration!

10 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm
post #2 of 11

yes, you did "right"

use the time to also:

create biz cards and other stationary

set up a billing system (invoices, statements etc --- see Cake Boss software as example)

figure cost and create price list

create flavor options list.

create contracts

create policies re delivery, set-up, tastings, etc.

ie be prepared to come out of the gate w/ all the info/policies/procedures you will need to keep doing it right

jlvmorales Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlvmorales Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:36pm
post #3 of 11

I agree with Doug. You did the right thing. Good advice Doug on getting ready for her business. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 11

YOu did the right thing.. ((hugs)). The good news is, that it is VERY easy to get your kitchen licensed here in NH so you could very well be looking at being legal in a few weeks. If they liked your cakes this week.. they will still like them when you are legal and then.. let the fun begin!!

Where are you in NH? (I may have asked you this before and if I have.. I apologize). I'm in southern NH too.. near the seacoast. Good luck with the process.. but don't stress too much. It's an easy process.

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the encouragement, you guys. It makes me feel better to hear you all confirm it for me! I'd love to get this up and going in a few weeks, so it looks like I've got a lot to do in the meantime. Thanks for the specific advice, Doug. Some of that I already have ideas on, and some not, so I'll be busy.

Jkalman, I'm in Pelham, on the MA line (next to Salem, NH and Dracut, MA).
There is no bakery in my town, and the closest one (that has decent cakes) is 15-20 minutes away. so I'm hoping I can fill a niche here. I have to admit, I looked at some of the info on the application and am clueless as to whether it applies to me or not, or even how to answer it! Did you have to call the State dept and ask questions or get help completing your app when you did it?

Thanks to all of you!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 11

No.. it was pretty straightforward. To start off you really only need to apply for a class H license (the one for homestead bakeries making under 5K/year). You just fill in the info it asks for and send it in with your check. What are you having trouble with? Maybe I can help you. icon_smile.gif

Swede-cakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:38pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks, jkalman. I'll pm you with a couple of questions I have. I appreciate your time and help!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 8:45am
post #8 of 11

Nicely done, it's never easy to do the right thing.

Mike

nicolesplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolesplace Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:40am
post #9 of 11

If it's any consilation.. I doubt that they will celebrate all their birthdays etc, before you are licensed.

Swede-cakes Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 1:26am
post #10 of 11

Thanks, Mike! icon_smile.gif

Good point, nicolesplace. My husband says," Take emotion out of it, now what are you left with?" The answer is the kind of logic as in your post. I've learned that it's fairly simple to become licensed in my state, so it may indeed become reality during the month of May.

TheButterWench Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheButterWench Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 10:01am
post #11 of 11

Put the Ganache down and make truffles! do not eat it.

You can use them to drop off your Business cards when you go legal.

Just a little gift so they remember you by. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%