Using My Airbrush For The First Time Tomorrow....need Help!

Decorating By suzted7 Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm by suzted7

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:39am
post #1 of 11

Am I supposed to thin the americolor or something or is it okay by itself? I read something along those lines somewhere but the instructions don't mention anything.....HELP!!!!!!

10 replies
vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:56am
post #2 of 11

bump don't know yet
what kind do you have?

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:03am
post #3 of 11

i dont know much but dont use regular paste for your airbrush ,use only airbrush color

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:12am
post #4 of 11

Oh, my....ONLY AIRBRUSH COLOR!!!!!

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 11

You can actually even get away with thinning gel paste w/water if you are in a pinch. I do it all the time. I put 1 drop of gel paste (I love electric blue for skies!) in a small cup and add about 1/2 - 1 tsp water. Swirl it around until the gel paste is dissolved completely and you can pour the colored water into your airbrush well.

A great way to practice with your airbrush is to buy a children's coloring book and practice staying in the lines with it.

Good luck w/your new toy! icon_biggrin.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:54am
post #6 of 11

Boy I'd be afraid of using anything but the special airbrush colors.
You might be able to do it but what is it doing to the airbrush??
It might be weeks, or even months down the road before you notice something just isn't working right anymoreicon_sad.gif

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:58am
post #7 of 11

I agree with Kakeladi. I wouldn't use anything but the airbrush colors. You can find them everywhere and not worth the risk of ruining the gun.

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:56am
post #8 of 11

yeah i agree, dont put any thing that wasnt designed for an airbrush into it. there pretty expensive to ruin.

mcook1670 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcook1670 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:13am
post #9 of 11

you can use liquid food coloring or dilute gel in alcohol. i wouldn't use water because it doesn't evaporate very fast compared to alcohol and there is no taste to worry about. It won't hurt it any, I've been doing it for along time and have had no problems. Be sure to clean the airbrush when your done. I take mine apart and clean it with rubbing alcohol and run alcohol through it when I'm done to remove any leftover color. Good luck and have fun. Oh there's an article on airbrushing tech in american ckae decorator this month. icon_biggrin.gif

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #10 of 11

I have a airbrush I was taught to use only Airbrush coloring made for the Airbrush avoid using anything else because it will clog it if it's not mixed just right

Molly2

suzted7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzted7 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone! I'll just use the americolor by itself....no mixing! Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%