Ribbons Of Butter Cream Icing

Decorating By cstovall Updated 30 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm by tlreetz

cstovall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cstovall Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 7

Please Help!! icon_cry.gif A friend is getting married and asked me to do her wedding cake. The picture she gave me looks like each tier is iced in several ribbons of buttercream slightly overlaping eachother starting from the bottom of each tier all the way to the top of each tier. If you have any ideas on how I can accomplish this describe look please let me know. I realize it may be hard to invision but I welcome any ideas. Thank you in advance for your help and support thumbs_up.gif. You guys are great!!

6 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:01am
post #2 of 7

I think I know what you are talking about. It looks like ruffled ribbon going around the cake and there are multiple "ribbons" on the side of the cake? I have never tried it but I know there is a tip to accomplish it.........hopefully somebody else can give you a number for the tip number.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:13am
post #3 of 7

I think you use the rose tip ... let me do some checking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:16am
post #4 of 7

I didn't find EXACTLY what I was looking for but here's a link to the wilton site on how to make a ruffle. http://www.wilton.com/decorating/basic/ruffles.cfm
If you're trying to do what I think you're saying, you'd just do a layered-look using this technique.

cstovall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cstovall Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 7

Thank you for your reply busymom9431 and indydebi. I've tried two different ways to get the look...1. I used the flat side of the basket weave tip and 2. I used wilton's icing sculptuor. the icing sculptuor gave me the result I was hoping for. Thank you guys once again for your responses and research. You guys are great!!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:26pm
post #6 of 7

I seriously hope you have that cake uploaded (I am about to go check) I have that icing sculptor and HATE it! I can't get it to do anything!!!! Help! Tell me your secret to making it work!

tlreetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tlreetz Posted 30 Apr 2008 , 9:31pm
post #7 of 7

Hi cstovall....I teach Wilton classes and I know exactly what you are trying to achieve. You will need a tip 104. Hold your tip with the large opening down and your bag at a 45 degree angle with the top of the bag pointing at 3:00. As you squeeze your bag, move your tip up and down on the cake slightly to form the size of ruffle you want. To do the next layer, repeat the same technique, just overlap slightly with the bottom layer.

I hope that made sense. Best of luck, post pictures of your cake so we can see it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%