Freeze Ripe Bananas??

Decorating By pjaycakes Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 1:36am by jen1977

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 10

I would like to add a banana chocolate chip recipe to my list of cake flavors. Can you freeze ripe bananas so that you can have them ready when you need to make a cake?

9 replies
jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 10

I do all the time! They aren't good to eat like you would normally eat a banana after being frozen because they get kind of mushy as they deforst, but are great for baking! I never throw bananaz away!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:16pm
post #3 of 10

That is my son's favorite treat--frozen banana on a stick!
Peel them and put a popsicle stick in , wrap in press n seal. He eats them frozen!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:47pm
post #4 of 10

have 6 in the freezer waiting for me to get "un"lazy and make pancakes and waffles.

whenever one (or more) get past their eating prime but still usable for baking -- into the freezer "until...."

i've even held them until almost black before freezing for max sweetness.

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:51pm
post #5 of 10

HA HA Doug-- My DH froze some for my son the other day and He said "daddy didn't do it right! They don't taste good like when mommy does it" He froze them before they even had spots on them. I wait until they are good and ripe too.

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 10

Great sounds like I have a new cake flavor. Banana chocolate chip YUM!!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 10

I often go ahead and mash them then freeze them in a ziploc container. Viola! When I need them for bread, or any other recipe, they are ready to go!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 10

I often go ahead and mash them then freeze them in a ziploc container. Viola! When I need them for bread, or any other recipe, they are ready to go!

melissablack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melissablack Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:31pm
post #9 of 10

I also peel them before freezing, throw 'em in a ziploc baggie, then when I need them I just squish them up in the bag and dump them in my mixing bowl icon_smile.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:36am
post #10 of 10

I always peel them first too.

Just looked at my post and saw that I can't spell! Geesh! I DO know how to spell bananas!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%