Help! I'm Trying To Become Legal In North Carolina........

Decorating By tannersmom Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm by allee

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 7:53pm
post #1 of 4

I want to have my kitchen inspected and become a LEGAL cake decorator from home. I got a list from the dept of Ag. today and it's like reading a different language. Has anyone from Carolina gotten there kitchen inspected and passed? Is so, please tell me what they are looking for and what they are inspecting. The whole house, the yard and surrounding? They even memtioned the drainage????? The lady on the phone stated that they would only inspect the kitchen and the nearest bathroom. I'm just wondering. Please help me if you can.


3 replies
allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 4

Here is the website that I found. I am in NC and this is what I am going by. My next door neighbor is an inspector w/the health dept. and has been a big help! Biggest thing, NO PETS indoors. And if you have a well (ie not city water) then you have to have it tested every year. Hope this helps!

Step 1. Verify that your product is low-risk.

Low-risk packaged foods are the only products allowed to be produced at home. These can include:

baked goods
jams and jellies
dried mixes
some sauces and liquids
Step 2. Do you have an indoor pet?

If so, you cannot manufacture foods in your home. Doing so is a violation of the N.C. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

Step 3. Check local license and zoning information

If you have determined that you qualify as a home-based business, check with your local government for compliance with local zoning laws. Also check your neighborhood covenant to be sure a home-based business is allowed in your neighborhood.
County government links:
City or town government links:

Step 4. Well water inspection

If your only water source is from a well, the water must be tested for coliform bacteria before an inspection is made. Have the test report ready for the inspection.

Step 5. Obtain an inspection

Contact the N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services' Food and Drug Protection Division at (919) 733-7366 to obtain a copy of the regulations and arrange for an inspection of the facility.

The inspection process:
A home-based kitchen inspection checks to be sure the kitchen is clean, constructed of suitable materials and is free of any pest activity (insect or rodent). Remember that indoor pets would also be considered pests. No indoor pets or pests.

Standard household equipment and appliances are acceptable. The equipment and appliances can be used for both personal and commercial use. Standard household sinks are acceptable. The kitchen should be free of decorative materials which could collect dust. Running water at a suitable temperature and pressure is required. There is not a specific temperature requirement for hot water, as long as it is hot enough to accomplish cleaning and sanitizing of equipment and utensils.

Waste should be conveyed away from the house in an acceptable fashion.

If home is on a well, the well must be tested once a year for coliform bacteria and the results provided. Any lights in the kitchen or any processing or packaging areas should be shielded against accidental breakage.

The inspection will be focused on the kitchen and other areas where processing and packaging of products may take place. Areas of the house in which materials, ingredients and equipment are stored will also be inspected. Inspectors may also walk around the exterior of the house to verify that the foundation is intact and will not allow for the entry of pests.

A permit is not issued, but inspectors will alert the homeowner to any possible violations of the N.C. Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act.

Step 6. Food product labels

Any products to be sold as consumer self-service type items must be packaged to protect them from contamination. A label must be affixed to the package bearing the common or usual name of the product, a declaration of ingredients in descending order of predominance, the name and complete address of the firm or party responsible for the manufacture of the product, a declaration of the net quantity of contents, and nutrition labeling information unless otherwise exempt. Some food product labels may also be required to bear product coding and other statements related to product storage. Food product labels that do not conform to all required labeling regulations may be deemed misbranded.

Key Contact:
Michael M. Woody, Food Compliance Officer
Telephone: (919) 733-7366
Fax: (919) 733-6801
E-mail: Michael M. Woody

tannersmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tannersmom Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much. I was stressing that they were going to inspect my bedroom closet. LOL LOL
If so, it would never pass. LOL
Let me know how it goes. I'll keep you posted about mine as well


allee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allee Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 4

I understand. I kind of freaked when I had called and asked about the requirements to be legal. But once I got this info, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought it would be!

Quote by @%username% on %date%