Dumb? Question... Stacked Cakes

Decorating By supermom2_3 Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 1:19am by supermom2_3

supermom2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
supermom2_3 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 5:49pm
post #1 of 6

Was wondering what the general rule is..
when stacking a tiered cake does each individual cake have a "cardboard" cake board under it?
If yes then how do you put a dowel through the center...
if not, then how do you pick up one to stack on the other once it is decorated? icon_smile.gif

For the couple that I have done I have left the cardboard under the cake.. the problem is though that when I take the tier off then the fondant under it pulls up...

Oh, and do you cover the cardboard in saran wrap? or contact paper or something?...

Thanks in advance! icon_smile.gif

Stella

5 replies
sweetnessx3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetnessx3 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 6:09pm
post #2 of 6

Hi , Im kinda new so I dont think any question is DUMB so maybe someone will answer and I can learn something with you,I do use a board with each layer and sharpen one end of the rod and hammer it threw the top to the bottom ,I also sprinkle powdered sugar under each cake circle seems to help with the sticking together !

Hope Ive helped!

supermom2_3 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you! icon_smile.gif The powdered sugar idea is a good one! icon_smile.gif

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:27am
post #4 of 6

The cardboard should be under each 4" of cake. So for every 2 - 2" layers you should have a cardboard. Unless you are covering more than 2 layers with fondant you shouldn't be covering any cardboards with fondant. So you would have a 2" layer of cake - filling - 2" layer of cake - cardboard then repeat. Hope this helps.

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 12:57am
post #5 of 6

Hi Everyone
There is a demo on youtube.com of someone doing a stacked cake. It's called "Assembling a Wedding Cake". She makes it look so easy!!

supermom2_3 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 1:19am
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much! Especially for the direction to the youtube video!! That is exactly the help I was looking for! icon_smile.gif)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%