What Size Of Pans Would You Buy

Decorating By matwogirls Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 4:02am by HerBoudoir

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 4:28pm
post #1 of 9

I am going to buy wome magic line cake pans and I was hoping for some input. I have been using the wilton pans and I have limited sizes. So I have decided that I am going to buy some pans with square edges as I am tired of fighting witht the wilton pans. So because I want to get my moneys worth out of the shipping cost and I will use them I am trying to decide what sizes I should buy. I do have wedding cakes coming up that I want to make sure that I have the proper sizes for. 3-4 tiers to feed around 200 people. And would you really suggest that I buy two sets of pans? Plus I am in Canada, anyone have an idea where the cheapest place to order online to ship to Canada would be?

Thanks for all your advice in advance,
Janice

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:42pm
post #2 of 9

I would definitely get 2 each of the 6/8/10's.

I would "recommend" 2 of the 12".

It "would be nice to have" 2 of the 14", but you can plan your baking with only one .... bake the 14" first, then bake 2 of the smaller ones while you wash, re-prep and put batter in the 14" for the 2nd layer.

Even if your oven isn't wide enough to hold two 12" pans, I find it nice to be able to fill both pans and have them waiting to go in the oven without having to wash and re-prep them first.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 9

www.cakepans4less.com has really decent prices on their magic line and magic line no name pans. i have them both and cant tell the difference between quality- only diff i see is the no name pans dont have a magic line stamp and you can save a few dollars per pan getting them that way. the shipping is decent too.

i personally only bake from a standard size home oven, so i can only fit two pans in if its a 10 inch or smaller, and even two of the 10 inch pans is quite a squeeze. so if you are really on a budget, one each of the larger is a good start. i like having 2 each of 4,6 and 8" pans, sometimes i can fit 3 or 4 of the smaller pans in at one time.

if you are buying pans specifically for this large wedding cake of 200, then youll obviously need the larger pans, and to bake one at a time- unless of course you have a large or several ovens. probably an 8,12 and 16 would be close to what you need. (approx 24svgs,56svgs and ?svgs )

dinas27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dinas27 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 9

i just recieved my order of magic line pans... they are GLORIOUS!

I ordered from www.intotheoven.com best prices, great service, low shipping to Canada, (I'm in Edmonton). Just be prepared to pay a customs brokerage charge ~$40. Still very very inexpensive.

I ordered a full set of square and rounds.
Round 4,6,8,9,10,12,14
Square 6,8,9,10,12 (I already had 2 14"ML given to me)

I like having the 9" to make a smaller three tiered cake (6,9,12). Otherwise sticking to either evens or odds is good. I dont think having every size is necessary, you can never get exact servings anyway.

I am only a hobby baker for now and simply dont have the space to warrant 2 sets of pans. My mixer only holds so much batter, the oven so many pans and my counter so many cooling cakes!

Intotheoven also sells creme bouquet which I am LOVING. Also bought the bead/pearl mold. Makes 3 different sizes and was only $20.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 9

intotheoven is one of my favorite sites too. i shop there often.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:36pm
post #6 of 9

Check out fondant source . com
They have the best prices on ML pans, and FatDaddios are 10% off right now

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 9

Using Wilton serving #s for your 'around 200' wed cake you can use 16, 12, 9, 6 tiers for 186 servings (then add a kitchen sheet).
I don't know how different ovens are in Canada compared to US but I can easily get 2 12" rounds and 2 9" round in my oven *at one time*. While those are cooliing bake up your two 10s & 2 6"ers.
While those are baking those, prepare one 16"er; wrap up your cooled cakes and be ready for the next ones coming out of the ovenicon_smile.gif Then there is just one more baking of another 16"er. Not too bad.....still it will take most of the dayicon_sad.gif
Each 'bake' will take about 1 hr. The 16"er will take about 1 1/2-2 hrs each to bake.
Can;'t help w/where to buy them....but good luckicon_smile.gif

matwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matwogirls Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:32am
post #8 of 9

Thank you thank you for replying. I did forget to mention that I am just near the end of my kitchen renos and I am installing a double wall oven. It has been my dream for years. So the space is not or I should say will not be a problem for me. Getting used to not baking forever will be difficult. But I will struggle though.. lol..

Thanks again,
Janice

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 4:02am
post #9 of 9

Just as an FYI - double wall ovens (while wonderful) are often a little more narrow than a traditional oven. You may want to check your specs on that.

I have a double wall oven, and my half sheet pans only JUST fit in it.

I really like Magic Line pans too; I've had some square ones for a while and just bought a few round ones from sugar craft. I'd like to try some of the Fat Daddio ones just because I like the cool shapes that they have icon_smile.gif

I'm at the point where I've gotten rid of most of my "junk" baking equipment and am replacing it with the good stuff - these pans definately qualify icon_smile.gif

I'm off to the MidAtlantic Cake Expo tomorrow, so maybe I'll get a few more there.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%