Alphabet Cutter Set

Decorating By dolphincake Updated 22 Apr 2008 , 12:34am by Cookies4kids

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 14

I've notice there different type of fonts to cut letters out. I would use them for fondant. Where did you get yours? and if you could direct me somewhere where I could see different styles.
The only one I own I got it from Michales but I know there are different type of fonts I just haven't come across them yet.

13 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:45am
post #2 of 14

Hi dolphincake, if you go to Global sugar art, under FMM Cutters, they have Funky Alphebet cutter set. And also if you check under Patchwork Cutters, they have some Alphebet and Number cutters as well.

HTH

Bashini.

gandelmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gandelmom Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:04pm
post #3 of 14

Thanks. I, too, have wondered about that. I've wanted 3" number cut outs-

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:05pm
post #4 of 14

I LOVE the funky letters by FMM!!! icon_biggrin.gif

bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 1:15pm
post #5 of 14

Yeah, me too. But I love the script cutter by FMM too. But I didn't see it on Global sugar art.

MegWinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MegWinn Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 14

I just got the "classic" patchwork letters and it has been a disaster! The fondant completely sticks inside the cutters and cannot be freed without destruction. I rolled the fondant really thin and let it dry out a bit on the second try but even that didn't help. I assume that you really DO have to follow the instructions that come with the letters and use "mexican paste" (for which they give you a recipe) instead of fondant. Anyone have any tips on how to use these cutters more effectively?

bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:40pm
post #7 of 14

MegWinn, you are correct. You have to use Mexican Paste. I had the same problem too. The lady in a cake shop told me to use mexican paste and lots of shortening. So now when ever I use Patchwork cutters I only use Mexican Paste. In case if it gets stuck you can use a dress makers pin to take it out.

I always buy the mexican paste. I haven't made my own.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 14

I use these cutters and love them. I do roll my gumpaste thin and use some powder sugar or cornstartch. When they do stick I use my tiny ball tool or leaf veining tool to ease them out of the cutter. I let them dry a bit before placing on the cake.

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:53pm
post #9 of 14

What is mexican paste I never heard of that

Molly2 icon_confused.gif

bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:57pm
post #10 of 14

Its like modelling paste, but has a really softer texture and stretchy texture to it.

dolphincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphincake Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 4:10pm
post #11 of 14

Thanks for the tips ladies! I ready to order some! I also use cornstarch before cutting the letters.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #12 of 14

I heard you can grease the mould with shortening,( and use mmf), put the mould into the freezer for a little while. When you remove it from the freezer they should pop right out. Worth a try if you don't have to have mexican paste whatever that is.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 11:36pm
post #13 of 14

I've found that when working with Patchwork cutters, you need a LOT of shortening. However, when dealing with Tappits, you need a thin piece of fondant (or mexican paste) and a LOT of cornstarch. Go figure! icon_rolleyes.gif

Cookies4kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookies4kids Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #14 of 14

I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but someone said to lay saran wrap over the fondant and then cut out the letters. Nothing sticks so they say!!! If you are looking for a cute block type alphabet that is easier to use than the one Wilton has, look in the clay section at Michael's. They also have some darling little cutter sets for holidays and some wonderful embossing sheets that I just love.
Good luck
Lily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%