Vanilla And Almond

Business By authress Updated 24 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm by authress

authress Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
authress Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hi all,

Would anyone be willing to share where they purchase vanilla and almond extracts? I'd like to buy them in large quantities/at a reasonable price, but I want the real thing. Places like "National Flavors" only seem to carry imitation and my local restaurant suppy store is no help. This $3.99 for an ounce of almond extract thing has got to go thumbsdown.gif Thank you!

10 replies
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:57pm
post #2 of 11

I have my vanilla blended for me and it is VERY reasonable, about $55 a gallon, but I have to buy a case- 8 gallons at a time. For me, thats fine, but for some peope thats alot.

My favorite source for extracts is Swiss Chalet. www.scff.com. Their almond is the best I have ever used. Their vanilla is sold by the quart and fairly reasonalble if you can't make an 8 gallon commitment.

authress Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks, txkat! Their website says "natural" almond extract, which I though was different from "pure." Is that what you order or do they carry something else?

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #4 of 11

I believe BJ's sells a large bottle of natural (Berkley and Jensen) vanilla extract. I don't know if they have almond though.

tc4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tc4cake Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 6:45pm
post #5 of 11

Hi there. I have a cake and candy supply store in California. I sell what I personally think is the best Clear Vanilla I've ever had. I use it in sugar cookies, cookie glaze, add to cake mixes, brownies - EVERYTHING! And of course buttercream icing. It is a baker's strength and has sort of a marshmallow smell.....It's so wonderful. If they stopped making it I'd be in trouble. I am able to order it in the Gallon Size and maybe it will fit in a Priority mail flat rate box to help with shipping but I'm happy to talk if interested. I also sell the same flavoring in Almond, Creme Bouquet and Butter Emulsion and they are all great. I know Almond can be very expensive if you buy the good stuff.....My almond is white in color and very potent...ha, ha.....Hope this helps.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by authress

Thanks, txkat! Their website says "natural" almond extract, which I though was different from "pure." Is that what you order or do they carry something else?

Natural is actually a higher grade of "pure" Heat can be used to extract the flavor in "pure" extracts, where "natural" are the extra virgin , if you will, and can only be tirtrated with the alcohol.

JanH Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:26am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by authress

Places like "National Flavors" only seem to carry imitation and my local restaurant suppy store is no help.

Posted National Flavors again, because they manufacture many pure, and natural extracts in addition to essential oils, and baking emulsions, as well as natural & artificial blends, artificial flavorings and so much more.

You might want to take a closer look at the website, because I found six pure vanilla extracts, and seven natural vanilla extracts. icon_smile.gif

Guess the extensive variety of product types and offerings was confusing, so that you couldn't see the forest through the trees. icon_lol.gif

You also have the option to call, fax or email for any product you might like that isn't specifically listed on the site or in the pamphlet. (The website and pamphlet are an "abridged" version of the products offered.)

HTH

authress Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:00pm
post #9 of 11

Jan, thanks for the tip--I will give National Flavors a closer look! (I actually had an English professor once say the forest/trees comment about a paper, so I guess it's a bad habit icon_redface.gif )

Txkat, I know you're quite the expert, so I'm going to press a bit further about the ins and outs of extracts. I found a food website that said the following: âPure almond extractâ derives from bitter almonds, ânatural extractâ usually contains benzaldehyde produced from cassia bark. I confess that now I'm really confused. I also have a bottle of "Natural Almond Extract" that doesn't actually contain oil of bitter almonds. How do you tell what's good and what isn't?

JanH Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 7:09am
post #10 of 11

The scoop on "natural" vs. "synthetic" flavorings:

http://tinyurl.com/58etow

Everything you ever wanted to know about vanilla:

http://tinyurl.com/9ngxs

Almond Extract - pure or artificial which should I use:

http://tinyurl.com/5dn4s7

More than you ever wanted to know about benzaldehyde:

http://tinyurl.com/6q7r59

HTH

authress Posted 24 Apr 2008 , 2:13pm
post #11 of 11

Oh, Jan, you are the link DIVA! Thanks for that wealth of info... Of course, I still have to decide what to buy and where to get it icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%