Need A Mango Cake Recipe

Decorating By snoopy3 Updated 19 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm by lanibird

snoopy3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snoopy3 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 6

Does anyone have a good mango cake recipe without nuts. Preferably not too complicated (I don't ask for much do I??)

I would like a moist cake with good mango flavor.

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:34am
post #2 of 6

Hi snoopy3, there is one recipe in the recipe index. It has walnuts, but I'm sure you don't have to use it. There is a recipe for the filling too.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 12:02pm
post #3 of 6

I can buy reasonably-priced mango puree from where I work, so I've been experimenting with it in my baking.

I have to say - I don't think mango works well when it's actually baked into a cake. You lose a lot of that distinct lovely flavor that mango has - it becomes diluted and much more bland. However, if you make the mango into a fruit curd (egg yolks, sugar, etc), fruit mousse (unflavored gelatin and heavy cream), and into a buttercream, it keeps that bright wonderful flavor, and dominates whatever cake flavor you pair it with. I ususually pair it with a coconut cake or a vanilla cake. I've also paired the mango curd with rice pudding made with coconut milk - mmmmmm.

To make your own fruit puree: cook the fresh or frozen fruit with a little bit of sugar (go light on the sugar here - you can always add more later) and a pinch of salt until it's nice and soft and breaking down. Run the fruit through a food mill to puree and remove the seeds/fiber from the fruit. Chill; freeze leftovers.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with HerBoudoir. I made the mango cake recipe here http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2436-Mango-Cake-with-filling.html and while it was good, the mango flavor in the cake was muted, and lacked that fresh mango flavor I was hoping for. For the best flavor I would follow HerBoudoir's suggestions.

HerBoudoir, if you don't mind me asking, can you share your mango curd recipe? DH loves, loves, loves mango & I'd like to make him some tartletts or fill a cake with mango curd.

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 6

Hiyas Lani,

Just take a lemon curd recipe and substitute the mango puree. I usually cut the sugar back a bit too, as the mango puree that I get has a little sugar in it already.

lanibird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanibird Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

lol, for some strange reason I was thinking it would be more complicated than that! dunce.gif

Thanks for sharing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%