3D Helicopter?!

Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm by MikeRowesHunny

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:14pm
post #1 of 11

Just had an enquiry about making a 3D helicopter cake for 30 people. I have no clue how to make it, or indeed if I'm up to such a task! How would you do it, and what would you charge?! Thanks!

10 replies
MikeRowesHunny Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 11

Anyone have any ideas?

lizziegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lizziegirl Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:33pm
post #3 of 11

I don't know but here's a bump

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:36pm
post #4 of 11

How about carving them out of stacked 9x13s and put those on a custom board made to look like the skids. The blades out of gumpaste. I can see it in my head......

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 5:07pm
post #5 of 11

Exactly what diamondsonblackvelvet started with. Google Images for a helicopter, or go to wal-mart and buy a toy one so you can have that as a reference point. 4 9x13s stacked. put it in the freezer for one hour (or so, this makes it easier to carve). make a base for the chopper out of wood (or something sturdy). attach skids (the runner feet on the bottom). Make the blades and tail either out of gumpaste or something sturdy (cor-plast) and cover with fondant. because of the cake and the time and the effort, nothing less than $150. Less than that and we will all come over and harangue you!!! And if they balk at the price, tell them that we said so, and if they want you can pipe a picture of a helicopter on a slab cake for $90.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 11:52am
post #7 of 11

Think *doll cake* icon_smile.gif The wonder Mold pan!

Waaaaaaaaaay back - some 25 yrs ago - someone did one of these for a cake show in Fremont, CA. There was a booklet printed w/pix and maybe some instructions. Maybe Laura remembers that? Have the book?

Basically the shape for it was a doll skirt cake but that's about all I remember. They did have it slightly elevated some but I sure don't know how. GP for the rotorblades....I seem to remember something about a clear plastic dome-shaped 'cup' on the top of it. Does that help any?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 7:46pm
post #10 of 11

my previous answers on this:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-109951-helicopter.html

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-32781-helicopter.html

other styles are possible using the same basic principals

----

note how the in the one all4cake posted from webpages the big black block is actually the support.

MikeRowesHunny Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:12pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks everyone for all your ideas, but I really don't think I want to do it. I forsee more disasters in the offing than I care to think about with this one, and I don't want the stress of it. Thanks anyway!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%