First Wedding Cake.....

Decorating By louie750 Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm by HerBoudoir

louie750 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louie750 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:11pm
post #1 of 2

Ok, I need all the advice I can get, not only my first wedding cake but first tiered cake. I know some basic construction, using dowels, cake board between layers. But beyond that I'm clueless. The cake will be a 12'', 9'', and 6'' chocolate, lemon, and pistachio flavors frosted with buttercream. With ribbon for edging and fondant gerbers cascading down.
I have one pan for each size, if I make one layer and torte it would it look too short? Also, I remember seeing a tip for the ribbon not soaking up the grease from the buttercream, I believe it had to do with ironing wax paper to it to form a seal?
And what color(s) should I used to get a muted pink, dusty rose color?
This is actually my wedding cake (so if I screw up too badly at least it won't be so bad than if it was for another bride icon_redface.gif ) Its a small ceremony with only about 50 people and the "reception" is just a party at my house, so I'm not stressed about it being "perfect" and grand. So I would also need advice on timeline...I know I'll make the actual cake ahead of time and can freeze. But the actual decoration and setting up I'm not sure when to do that, since I'll be busy getting married and all.

Thanks for all your help!!

1 reply
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:07pm
post #2 of 2

Congrats, and when is the wedding?

1. Standard "height" for tiers is 4 inches per tier (cake). You'd definately need 2 layers + filling to get that height. One trick I learned is that if your cakes aren't even in height, they can look really off in a tiered cake, so take a ruler and measure them after you fill and layer them, and then again after you BC them but before you decorate. You can trim a little or build up a little with BC to get them even.

2. For the ribbon, cut parchment to fit and then use double sided tape between the ribbon and parchment. This way, the ribbon doesn't actually touch the cake. You have to be really careful with ribbon as a lot of them are NOT food safe and the dyes may run. If you just want a plain colored ribbon, best to make one out of fondant.

3. You can definately finish the cake a day or two ahead of time. Just make sure it's stored properly - it will most likely need to be refrigerated.

If you have time, make a practice cake a month ahead of time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%