Really Is Yours Better Than Wasc Would Love To Know Recipe!

Decorating By wrightway777 Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm by wrightway777

wrightway777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wrightway777 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 3:19am
post #1 of 4

Please dont hate me but I am really not impressed with WASC (white almond sour cream cake). Heres what I like and dont (my TTMC test):
Texture - has a thinner cell and was semi dense and uniform = liked it
Taste - didnt really taste almond or much of anything (yes, I was using pure) = nothing special
Moistness - slightly dry (yes I know I could use a soaking syrup but I want a recipe that wont need one)
Carvability - due to texture it was great and holds up to fondant fine

So do you have a basic white cake mix extender recipe that beats WASC - would love to see it- please post icon_confused.gif

Note for future contest = There needs to be contest for best tasting "basic" cake

3 replies
wrightway777 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 6:28am
post #2 of 4

WOW! I'm really surprised that no one has a suggestion. icon_sad.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 7:14am
post #3 of 4

Well, the WASC and its variations are usually quite popular:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

And if there are any complaints, they are usually that the cake is TOO moist.

Taste can be an individual issue, as some people can have more sensitive taste buds than others...

If you didn't think the flavor was strong enough, just add more flavoring, use a different flavoring or change brands of flavoring.

HTH

wrightway777 Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 2:02pm
post #4 of 4

JanH thanks for the link! Thats perfect now there are a great wide variety of variations that I can experiment with. Its nice to see that the site that its located on has a comment system! No complaints here! I'm always looking to make things better (= growth). I think I figured out what it was that made the cake slightly drier...it was my flour! I used an unbleached king Arthur Flour. I should have used bleached. Heres what the difference will be:

Bleached AP flour* = has been chemically treated with bleaching agents that whiten the flour and make it easier to blend with ingredients with higher percentages of fat and sugar. Bleached flour produces a slightly more tender cake.

Unbleached AP flour* = flour is creamier in color and slightly heavier, and will yield a firmer crumb.

note: this came from The Cake Book, by Tish Boyle on page 7-8. I like this book. 376 pages of love. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%