Help With Putting Two Cakes Together Side By Side

Decorating By SaraO Updated 21 Apr 2008 , 12:59am by bcake1960

SaraO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaraO Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:17am
post #1 of 8

I have some questions about putting two cakes together because I have never done it before. I am making a long cake that will be composed of two 12 by 12 inch cakes side by side. On top of that I am going to put the Pablo character cake. If anyone could help with any of the following questions I would really appreciate it:

1) My box is only 23 inches long so I need to cut off 1/2 and inch from each cake. Do you think I should cut it from where the 2 cakes meet?

2) Is there any good way to keep the cakes from sliding apart when I transport it?

3) Should I put frosting in the area between where the 2 cakes meet?

4) I'm debating whether or not to make the horizon where the 2 cakes meet. If I do that, then, it won't look so bad if they slide apart. But overall the cake would probably look better if I put the horizon lower down. How much of a chance do you think there is that the cakes are going to slide apart?

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Sara

7 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:27am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraO

1) My box is only 23 inches long so I need to cut off 1/2 and inch from each cake. Do you think I should cut it from where the 2 cakes meet?

yes, easiest place to hide the change.

Quote:

2) Is there any good way to keep the cakes from sliding apart when I transport it?

a) glue the two halves together at the joint w/ BC and b) glue the halves to the board by smearing BC on the board before putting the cakes on

Quote:

3) Should I put frosting in the area between where the 2 cakes meet?

yes, see #2 above

Quote:

4) I'm debating whether or not to make the horizon where the 2 cakes meet. If I do that, then, it won't look so bad if they slide apart. But overall the cake would probably look better if I put the horizon lower down. How much of a chance do you think there is that the cakes are going to slide apart?

if glued w/ BC and put on a very sturdy board, shouldn't be a problem at all. I've done several this way and never a problem w/ the joint (now as for other things like -- oops poked a finger in it, oops bumped the border, oops carrying this cake is going to give me a hernia!!! -- well that's another story icon_rolleyes.gif)

SaraO Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:31am
post #3 of 8

Thanks a lot Doug! I feel much better now icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:35am
post #4 of 8

Yep, doug nailed it right on the headicon_smile.gif
I have never had the cakes slide apart. Once they are iced as one cake they won't. Nor will anyone know that it is composed of 2 cakes & not one.

Many of the boards that are sold as 'full sheet' cardboard cake boards are no where heavy enough. Glue 2 or 3 of them together.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:18am
post #5 of 8

Or, I found that the craft foam boards work great and are very sturdy.. if you need extra support you can purchase 1/2 in thick foam board. You can get this at Michaels or any craft store.. hth.. thumbs_up.gif

SaraO Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the help guys! Here is how it turned out:
LL

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:50am
post #7 of 8

awwww.....he's so CUTE!

great job!!!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 12:59am
post #8 of 8

Very cute... you did a great job!! Congratulations!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%