Anyone Here Do Scones?? Need Help

Decorating By tdybear1978 Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 2:31am by vickymacd

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 14

I am doing scones for the first time, blueberry ones. Am I correct in assuming that there is not alot you can do to keep them from bleeding? How thick are they suppose to be after they have baked? And do they have to be in a specific shape? I made mine with a round cookie cutter.
And after they have baked with the blueberries stop "juicing" out or do they keep juicing? how do you keep the dough from getting soggy? sorry, I just know nothing about these things haha

13 replies
HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:06pm
post #2 of 14

I think unless you're using dried blueberries, you'll get some bleeding.

I'm of English origin, so scones were part of our day to day munchies growing up. We always make them about an inch and a half to 2 inches thick, so you could comfortably split and butter them to eat. Always with raisins baked in icon_smile.gif

We also always cut them round. I've been to England a few times, and I can't recall seeing them any other shape, even store bought ones.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:21pm
post #3 of 14

Scones are often cut into triangles. There was an excellent recipe and instructions on the tv show Americas test kitchen.

the patted out the dough to a rectangle (do not overmix it) layed out frozen berries, pressed them in gently, then folded the dough into thirds. The ended up with a longer, narrow-er roll. pat it down some and cut into squares, then triangles.

the frozen berries bleed a LOT less, and taste just as good after baking.

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 14

I've made scones a zillion times, and I've always made them into a triangle shape. I use dried berries.
The perfect person, in my opinion, to contact, is aine2, if she has time!
She is from Scotland. I hate to be speaking for Loraine, but she may be able to help you more.

tdybear1978 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:05am
post #5 of 14

okay, thanks everyone, I just pulled them out of the oven and they seem pretty thick to me but I guess they are suppose to be, I have gotten mixed reviews as to what shape they are suppose to be so I am just going to keep them round unless the customer says something else.

Does anyone know, will the berries keep juicing after being baked or will it stop?

thanks

vickymacd Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:11am
post #6 of 14

It will stop, just as a pie would or muffins.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:52am
post #7 of 14

Would you mind sharing your recipe? I've been looking for one and haven't had much luck.

vickymacd Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 2:20am
post #8 of 14

sorry, had to get off here for awhile. Will get recipe tomorrow as I have to pick up my son and make sure homework is done. Big day tomorrow for track meets.

tdybear1978 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #9 of 14

I have to admit that I am cheating a bit and using a mix that my supplier wanted me to sample. So far I have done just plain scones, choc. chip scones (which really got high raves) and now the blueberry scones. So much easier then any of the recipes that I have tried and really inexpensive. I am sure that scratch scones are probably better but the few people that have tried the ones I have made have had high opinions of them.

moreCakePlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moreCakePlz Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 14

Here is a link to the scone section of the Joy of Baking site. There are lots of recipes and information there. You can also try Epicurious and Recipezaar, they have tons. My favorite scone is white chocolate cranberry. Yummmmâ¦.

http://joyofbaking.com/SconesIntroduction.html

FYI: also search for Strawberry Shortcake instead of scones. The biscuits used in traditional shortcake are a lot like scones.

vickymacd Posted 19 Apr 2008 , 10:25pm
post #11 of 14

Sorry it took me so long but after reading the Joy of Baking post, it's very much like mine. Scones in general are dry, so these might actually be a wee bit better.

tdybear1978 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 3:35pm
post #12 of 14

just had a quick question for those of you who do make the scones - my customer is wanting me to see if I can make the scone a little sweeter - I am using a mix, can I just add some sugar to it? and if so do I use granulated (was not sure if it would make it grainy) or should I combine some powdered sugar with the mix? Any suggestions? thanks everyone

rhondab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondab Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 11:56pm
post #13 of 14

Some recipes use a sugar or jam glaze brushed over the unbaked scone, or a milk or egg wash that is then sprinkled with sugar. That would make it a bit sweeter without changing the interior. One of my cookbooks also says that helps keep the scone fresh a bit longer.

vickymacd Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 2:31am
post #14 of 14

sorry, was having trouble connecting to get on here.
I agree with the wash and sugar sprinkles and sugar inside. That's what I do when I want a sweeter one.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%