Making Ri Tiaras: Love It Or Hate It?

Decorating By KaraCakes Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 9:44am by sparklynne

KaraCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KaraCakes Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 26

When it comes to actually making royal icing tiaras, do you enjoy it? Do you think it's worth the time? Or do you just despise it so much that you would rather put a plastic tiara on your cakes? Or maybe you just have a heck of a time making them- are they really difficult for you? Do they break too easily? Or do you love how they come out and find it not a big ordeal? Inquiring minds want to know?

25 replies
busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 26

I love the idea of the RI tiara but prefer to do them with chocolate. Chocolate hardens so quickly and if broken can be repaired QUICKLY! And the kids love to eat the chocolate ones.

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 26

RI is prettier and more unique. I do hate making them. They can crack very easily.

Sweettooth1120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweettooth1120 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:54pm
post #4 of 26

I hate the look of plastic tiaras on cakes. I think it looks cheap. RI tiaras can be difficult but worth the effect.

ShanonR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShanonR Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:03pm
post #5 of 26

I did one RI tiara and really had fun doing it. It was really easy. I was so proud of myself once I was done and the kids were amazed that they could eat it. I have never tried a chocolate on but I certainly will have to give that a whirl!

msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:43pm
post #6 of 26

I've only done one myself and I have a ball making it. I was just so excited to see the finished product. Plus, I had to hide it everyday from my niece (it was for her b-day cake), she is so nosey, lol. But all and all it was fun to make. Will do again and I too have to try the chocolate one.

poshcakedesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poshcakedesigns Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:56pm
post #7 of 26

I love RI tiaras. I don't think I could bring myself to put a plastic one back on a cake .

Takes practice but is well worth it in my opinion. I'm impatient so it took me awhile to make myself leave it alone for 24 hours. Now I make one and hide it out of my site so I'm not tempted to try and remove it from the wax paper. Have found if I let it dry properly then I hardly ever have any problems with it breaking.

I also use 3 layers of RI - pipe the first layer let it dry for 10-15 minutes - then do a 2nd layer etc.

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:04pm
post #8 of 26

has anyone ever tried to make one with fondant/gumpaste? I have a fondant gun and would love to try one.

melotte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melotte Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 26

I made two RI tiara cakes recently. I enjoyed making those. You have to let it dry for a day or two before you airbrush it with silver or pearl.

Kate714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kate714 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 26

for me, RI = no good! But I love making them out of chocolate icon_biggrin.gif

msthang1224 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:25pm
post #11 of 26

Kate714, what kind of choclate do you use to make them? Can I use chocolate discs from wilton? do you use a squeeze bottle or parchment or a pastry bag?

I want to try it too icon_smile.gif

Kate714 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:31pm
post #12 of 26

yes, you can use the candy melts from Wilton or other brands. I haven't tried a squeeze bottle...I prefer a regular decorating bag w/a tip, maybe #3-5, as opposed to a parchment bag (I feel like I have better control w/a decorating bag). I do go over it a couple of times to make it stronger.

msthang1224 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 26

Thanks, will try soon.

OHHHHH, Can you color the chocolate? Say if you want to get that glittery look, like an actual tiara?

Kate714 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:35pm
post #14 of 26

I would use the color of chocolate that is closest to the color you want the luster dust or whatever dust you want to use. I buy the pre-colored chocolate, but you can color it w/candy colors. I have diluted the dust w/vodka or extract and painted it on, and I have dry dusted it.

msthang1224 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 26

Thanks alot, will try!

craftyone65 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:34am
post #16 of 26

I'm not sure I understand how it would work with chocolate. I've tried a few things with chocolate but they melt so fast. Does it happen to everyone or is it because I live in Florida?

Kate714 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:43am
post #17 of 26

The chocolate/candy melts will set and get hard. now, if you live in a very hot/humid climate, like FL, you would most likely have to store it in the fridge, but it should still work. icon_confused.gif

busymom9431 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
busymom9431 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:45am
post #18 of 26

For the chocolate- Melt it until there are no lumps and then put it in your decorating bag or parchment and use it the same way you would use the RI. I wouldn't think it would melt unless it was extremely hot or in the direct sun but it may be a Florida thing...........I wish I knew from experience!

craftyone65 Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:51am
post #19 of 26

I haven't used chocolate decorations very much but did try them on my first chocolate wrap (in my photos) and they melted almost right away. Even though I kept the cake in the frig till I left they still fell right away. I may not be able to do things like that living in Florida. I guess I'll try the RI or fondant insteadicon_sad.gif

homemaluhia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homemaluhia Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:00am
post #20 of 26

I've made the RI tiaras and kept having them break. So I tried one with gumpaste with my clay-gun and it was terrific! That's my choice method ... even though I haven't tried chocolate. I'll try it soon. I love working with chocolate. Even here in Hawaii, it holds it's shape.

pattiepooh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattiepooh Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:46pm
post #21 of 26

I would love to try this but I am having a hard time find the templates for the detailed tiaras. Can you tell me where to find them? I would really love to give this a try.Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

Kate714 Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 6:59pm
post #22 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattiepooh

I would love to try this but I am having a hard time find the templates for the detailed tiaras. Can you tell me where to find them? I would really love to give this a try.Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

look in the gallery in templates, and do a search for tiara or crown...that's where I got my template.

mgdqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgdqueen Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:04pm
post #23 of 26

I love making them...but definitely charge extra for them!

BakingGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingGirl Posted 22 Apr 2008 , 7:05pm
post #24 of 26

I loved the chocolate tiara I made until I found it melted in a little puddle in the back of my car on my way to the delivery. icon_lol.gif

Rhienn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rhienn Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 5:22am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingGirl

I loved the chocolate tiara I made until I found it melted in a little puddle in the back of my car on my way to the delivery. icon_lol.gif

This exact thing happened to me last month. Grrrrr

I'm wondering if it's because I let it set up in the fridge. Does that make them less stable than letting them solidify at room temp? What's the magic method to keep them from melting?

sparklynne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sparklynne Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 9:44am
post #26 of 26

I have actually only done this twice and made mine from the RI but enjoyed it both times. The second time I did a tiara it was very time consuming but the client was ecstatic with the final product and called me afterward to find out how to keep it. I have found that if you are not wanting to do one that is massive you can actually take a champagne bottle and cover the widest part with your template taped on and some wax paper over the top and it works fantastic thumbs_up.gif Then when your tiara is dry you just slip the wax paper and tiara right over the tapered neck of the bottle. I have a picture of my last one that I did on my pink princess cake w/sceptor in my gallery.
Sparklynne

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%