Pricing Gum Paste

Decorating By MARIATAMIA Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm by MARIATAMIA

MARIATAMIA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MARIATAMIA Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:30pm
post #1 of 4

Hello CC buddies. I need help. I've been asked to make gumpaste flowers for 2 first communion cakes. I've never done this for anyone other than family, therefore, never charged. I know I'll charge for cost of supplies but how do I charge for my time and work? Please any advice is greatly appreciated. As right now I just have no clue what to do icon_confused.gif

3 replies
MARIATAMIA Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 4

Just wondering if anyone has seen my post and has a bit of advise for me

Thanks

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:12pm
post #3 of 4

I sell my gumpaste flowers all the time. I figure how long it takes me to make them and charge by what I want an hour. These flowers are very time consuming and so you want it to be worth your time.

I don't know what kind of flowers you are making, or what your market will bear. I'm in San Diego and I charge $25 per orchid (cymbidium, moth, cattleya). It's a little high, but it takes 1 hour to make, color and construct them (this includes the cost of materials).

MARIATAMIA Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 4

Sweetflowers, thank you so much for your help. At least now I have a basis to start with. Someone else told me yesterday that they take the cost of their supplies and multiply by four and charge that figure. Either way I've got something to go with. By the way I'm making calla lilies. I love these and they are not as hard to make as other flowers. Once again thanks you've been great. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%