I Need More Help...

Decorating By stacyyarger Updated 20 Apr 2008 , 9:25am by stacyyarger

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:57am
post #1 of 13

Hi- I am needing to make Royle Blue Fondant.What is the Best way to do this with getting Great Results? I was going to use Royle Blue Icing Color til I get the color i'm needing, but I wasn't sure if there is another color i could use to get a nice deep Royle Blue.Also, I'm needing Gold.Would you guys just use Luster Dust for this Color?

Thanks
Stacy

12 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 13

For the gold, you'll have better results if you make yellow or tan and then paint it with the dust, than if you just use the dust on white fondant.

EagerBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EagerBaker Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:23pm
post #3 of 13

What shade of royal blue are you wanting to achieve? Is it like the University of Kentucky blue or more like a sapphire? I use Wilton's royal blue for the UK color. You might need to add just a dot of black to get a darker shade. Just a suggestion.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 13

My honest opinion? I'd just get some blue and black Satin Ice and mix them until you get the color you want. Making deeply coloered fondant is a REAL pain in the heiny. I'd use gold dust diluted with vodka over gold colored icing. It will be more vibrant than just doing it over white. icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:32pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

My honest opinion? I'd just get some blue and black Satin Ice and mix them until you get the color you want. Making deeply coloered fondant is a REAL pain in the heiny. icon_smile.gif

I agree, if you have the time then I would order the colored fondant (its on sale at GSA and I just ordered some, and it tastes great!)
I made a guitar cake once that was royal blue and I ruined 3 batches of mmf trying to color it royal blue.
It seems that too much color was making the mmf "break" and become really crumbly and no amount of crisco or sugar or kneading could fix it.
I even tried powdered colors and had the same result.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 13

Getting royal blue MMF is easy! (If you're making MMF).

When the MMs are melted, stir in nearly the whole jar of Wilton royal blue (or use nearly a whole bottle of Americolor). I use a butter knife to dump a huge glob into my bowl. Stir. Add the PS and voila. For some reason all of that food coloring doesn't change the texture of MMF if you add it before adding the PS, and it is a lot less work than kneading it in.

If you want a darker blue, add purple (violet).

EagerBaker Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:20pm
post #7 of 13

I agree with MacsMom. That technique is the only way that I make black or red fondant. Otherwise the fondant is ruined every time. I've never tried it with blue, but the only time I need blue if for UK cakes. Its easy to get that color just by adding the color to MMF. Just remember that when you add the color to the melted marshmallows that you don't need to add as much water. I usually decrease the water to 1 - 1 1/2 Tbsp depending on how much color I'm adding. Do you do the same thing MacsMom? Hope this helps.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 13

I tried that technique to make black fondant and it still came out crumbly and not smooth. I kept adding crisco but nothing would help it icon_sad.gif

MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 13

I try to remember to do that, but last night I made a batch of super-deep pink and forgot to decrease the water - it came out fine! I even used an old bottle of neon pink that I got at the grocery store years ago--the liquid food coloring--and squeezed at least a teaspoon into it.

For black, I add about 1/4 c of cocoa powder first - another trick I learned here.

MacsMom Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:42pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

I tried that technique to make black fondant and it still came out crumbly and not smooth. I kept adding crisco but nothing would help it icon_sad.gif

If your MMF gets too dry or hard despite using the microwave, massage in some glycerine, corn syrup or piping gel. They all give the same result, returning moisture and increasing pliability. I add a tablespoon of glycerine to my MMF along with the flavoring (I also add a teaspoon of salt to cut the sweetness - it's nummy).

EagerBaker Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 13

I always add 2 Tbsp of white corn syrup to my MMF. I also leave out about 1 cup of powdered sugar when I initially make the fondant. I only use enough crisco to just coat my hands while I'm mixing it up then coat it in crisco to store overnight. When I work with it I nuke it for about 10-15 seconds then roll it out using the last cup of the powdered sugar. I have found that these things have drastically reduced the amount of tears that I have when I'm covering a cake. Through trial and error everyone finds their own tricks. These work for me. Most ppl think I'm nuts when I tell them that I roll out the fondant thicker but smaller than the cake. It allows for stretching and pulling it to fit. I don't get nearly as many creases or tears as when I used to roll it thinner and to the measurement of the cake. Hope this helps!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:06pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacsMom

If your MMF gets too dry or hard despite using the microwave, massage in some glycerine, corn syrup or piping gel. They all give the same result, returning moisture and increasing pliability. I add a tablespoon of glycerine to my MMF along with the flavoring (I also add a teaspoon of salt to cut the sweetness - it's nummy).

That is good to know. I'll keep it in mind for next time.

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

stacyyarger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stacyyarger Posted 20 Apr 2008 , 9:25am
post #13 of 13

ThankYou All for your Help!! I am going to try making Royal Blue MMF on Tuesday (my day off) so I'm sure you guys will hear from me again.haha

If it comes out nice can I keep it.Will it still be good until May 18th?

Thanks Again,
Stacy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%