1St Birthday! 1St Cake Ever! Q's On Cake And Fondant...

Decorating By Shola Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm by Shola

Shola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shola Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 8:42am
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

Firstly fantastic site!

Ok, my DD's 1st Bday is coming up and I am going to attempt a 2 tier layer cake covered in fondant with fondant decs and accents on wires (wanted to do 3 tier whimsy but decided it was defo above my abilities!) but I don't even know what cake to bake, I was thinking 3 layers of the 'Magnolia Bakery's Vanilla Cake' with BC and some raspberry jam inside, will this be stable enough for fondant?? (I made a pound cake the other day and it turned out like a brick, so I'd like to do a spongy type cake icon_smile.gif)

Also I am very limited in the ingredients I can get here, I've had to get fondant shipped in and some americolor gel colours, but I can not get gum paste and was wondering can I just make the accents on wires out of plain fondant? It is very hot and humid here so how would I get it to dry out? could I put it under a light grill or hairdryer to become firmer?? icon_confused.gif

As I'm just doing 2 tiers are the dowels and plates really nessacary or can I just pop one on top of the other?

My fondant hasn't arrived yet and I will have none spare to practice (Argh!) so what is the best way to roll fondant, I've read alot of different ways like putting it between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or just dusting the worktop with icing suger??

Should i refridgerate the cakes before I try to layer them and put BC on them?

Sorry so many Q's but I thought I'd cram them all into one post!
Any help and tips v much appreciated!!
Shola
XXX

5 replies
wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:55am
post #2 of 6

Well you could do straight fondant .. but you said it was humid... that might mean your fondant decorations won't get hard fast... so you can add tylose or gumtex to it to make it dry faster... do it wayyyyy before you will need them to ensure them being dry... if you have a dehydrator you can use that on the lowest setting... a fan a lighted oven (make sure it is off and you stick a note on the oven not to turn on LOL).

You are doing a stacked cake with fondant so I would dowell... for like a 10/6 or 9/6 stack I would use 4 dowells under the 6.

You can roll your fondant under the plastic wrap or LIGHTLY dust a work mat .... (fondant mat or something similar) or even do it straight on your counter. Make sure you lightly dust it.. or your fondant will dry out. I use cornstarch instead of powdered sugar.

I flash freeze my cake before I cover it with fondant but AFTER I put my thin layer of BC on it icon_smile.gif

I hope this helps some

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:07am
post #3 of 6

I'm not knowledgable with fondant or filled cakes, but I have to comment: Wow! All that for a first birthday? Also, don't forget to make a smash cake for the baby and do not cover it in fondant. The purpose of a smash cake is to get that baby as messy as possible!

Shola Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:44pm
post #4 of 6

Hi,
Thx guys,
Ok wow so I have definatly have to use dowels?

Also I can not get Tylose or Gumtex or anything like that here, is there anything more general I can use??

When you say put the decs in the oven, you mean just shut them in there and don't turn the oven on at all or just have it on low?

I don't think I can handle doing a smash cake aswell! I was just going to cut her a chunk and let her get stuck in! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:11pm
post #5 of 6

Just shut the oven door.. turn oven LIGHT on.. and that is it... icon_smile.gif

I'll ask around Shola about what else you can use... instead of the Tylose or Gumtex ok?

Shola Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 1:14pm
post #6 of 6

Okies, Thx! thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%