Piping Vertical Lines Down The Sides Of Cakes

Decorating By annethered Updated 27 Apr 2008 , 4:33am by cakemommy

annethered Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annethered Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:33am
post #1 of 12

Ok having a bit of trouble getting my royal icing lines piped nice and straight in vertical lines from the top over the sides of the cake - ala Mitch Turner in Spectacular cakes. Not doing as many as those but when they go a bit 'wobbly' they look awful. Any tips please? ie. top to bottom or visa versa?

11 replies
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:12am
post #2 of 12

my tip use fondant stripes much easier to work with then piping

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:09pm
post #3 of 12

Don't go slow and let the icing flow and attach at the bottom. The faster you go the better it will look.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:18pm
post #4 of 12

lightly mark the icing with the edge of a spatula or ruler, if you have trouble keeping the lines straight. Then pipe from the bottom to the top- that always seems to work best for me!

Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakedout

lightly mark the icing with the edge of a spatula or ruler, if you have trouble keeping the lines straight. Then pipe from the bottom to the top- that always seems to work best for me!

Ditto!

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 12

what about using a piece of uncooked spagetti to lightly impress on the sides? it might help until you get into the flow and have more confidance thumbs_up.gif

annethered Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:02am
post #7 of 12

Ok bottom to top seems better but do you have the icing tip close to the side and sort of 'draw' it up the cake or hold the tip out from the cake a bit and squeeze the bag to form a line of icing and then 'lay' this onto the cake? Am I making any sense here?

annethered Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 6:09am
post #8 of 12

Ok bottom to top seems better but do you have the icing tip close to the side and sort of 'draw' it up the cake or hold the tip out from the cake a bit and squeeze the bag to form a line of icing and then 'lay' this onto the cake? Am I making any sense here?

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 21 Apr 2008 , 7:46am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by michellesArt

what about using a piece of uncooked spagetti to lightly impress on the sides? it might help until you get into the flow and have more confidance thumbs_up.gif

What a great idea! I'll have to give that a try! Thanks! thumbs_up.gif

Aubrey2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aubrey2007 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #10 of 12

Thanks everyone...I have another question though. If you use the mat, how do you prevent your buttercream from just globing onto the mat? I'm afraid to smooth out my cake and then have the mat pull all the BC off.

I do like the spaghetti idea though. icon_biggrin.gif

Aubrey2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Aubrey2007 Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:05am
post #11 of 12

Um....oops. This is what I get for having two browsers open with Cake Central. Thought I was posting to a different thread...also had spaghetti in it so wasn't too far off. Doh! icon_redface.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 27 Apr 2008 , 4:33am
post #12 of 12

Always bottom to top!!!! Don't "draw" the line on the cake. Don't touch the tip to the cake. Attach at bottom and gently squeeze out a line of icing as you are pulling up (slightly away from side) to the top. Gently guide the line of icing over the edge to center making sure to keep steady as it is easy to go at an angle once you go on to the top of the cake.

Amy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%