Help With Spongebob Smash Cake! (I Think I Need Doug!)

Decorating By Jayde Updated 18 Apr 2008 , 12:21am by Jayde

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:55pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, so I have a friend who wants me to make a Spongebob smash cake for her son's 1st birthday. She told me that the design is up to me, just make it look cute.

So, I decided that I am going to make SB's house, the 'pineapple under the sea', and then put SB and all of his friends around the house, either as icing plaques or CT's.

Here is my problem: I am SOOOOO not good at carving! What shapes/tins/jars can I bake in that will give me the pineapple shape without making me carve too much? Just remember its a smash cake, so no bigger than a 4-6 inch and bigger than a cupcake. Can anyone help? Or offer advice?

5 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:53am
post #2 of 6

If you want to carve with as few carvings as possible, you probably need an oval pan. Cut the top third off the cake and turn it upside down to make the greens at the top of the pineapple. But the two round edges together and I bet that's close to a pineapple shape.

Me, I wouldn't carve a cake. I'd draw the pineapple on a small cake.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 2:59am
post #3 of 6

or....
MINIwonder mold if you have it and two rounds of cake cut from a larger layer.

will only have to carve the rounds to curve in a bit under the mold.

and viola! there's the basic house shape.

you may also achieve it by baking two of those "texas" size muffins. lop off the tops, stick together top to top and you'll have close to the shape you need.

by the time you detail it out w/ the pineapple leaves on top, etc. it'll look great.

Jayde Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

OMG Doug you are a genius!

Ok, so how about a 4-inch double stack, with a mini wonder on bottom and and mini wonder on top. I will just flatten the bottom a bit so it sits firm, and then just round out the sides so that the shape flows smoothly.

Now my next problem: Covering the dang thing with fondant!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:10pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayde

OMG Doug you are a genius!

Ok, so how about a 4-inch double stack, with a mini wonder on bottom and and mini wonder on top. I will just flatten the bottom a bit so it sits firm, and then just round out the sides so that the shape flows smoothly.

Now my next problem: Covering the dang thing with fondant!

4in double stack and TWO miniwonder --- we're expecting a cake fight!?!?! icon_rolleyes.gif

having mercy on the mother, I'd do just the 4 in double and only a minwonder on top -- that'll be plenty for the little darlin' to make a mess of.

re fondant: roll out extra large circle, drape over and them smooth on like you would any round cake... hint --- before smoothing, cut away any excess relatively close to cake.... as you smooth more will show up.

looking forward to seeing the final product.

Jayde Posted 18 Apr 2008 , 12:21am
post #6 of 6

LOL, the mother is a very good friend and she INSISTS on paying me $40 for this smash cake, even though I told her $10 would be plenty.

I really do appreciate the advice Doug, thanks icon_biggrin.gif . Now I just have to figure out how I want to do the SB figures icon_surprised.gif .

I promise to post a picture!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%