3D Star Cake- Possible?

Decorating By diamondsonblackvelvet13 Updated 16 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm by death_by_frosting

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 12:45pm
post #1 of 5

Had a customer call me yesterday wanting to know if I could make a 3D star cake. I told her I had no idea, to let me knock around some ideas and see if it was with in my ability range. The recipient likes stars, and by stars I am running on the assumption of a standard 5 point star. Is it possible for the beginner to create something like this or would this be best left up to Master Decorators?
Where would one even start with a cake stand? Very tempting idea!

Edited because I can't spell!

4 replies
tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 1:56pm
post #2 of 5

Its possible, because I'm thinking of the Simpson FN challenge with Bronwen Weber and she used the arch method as they did in early, early Roman architecture where the weight actually holds the arch together and in place. But it would be difficult regardless.

I think the easiest thing would be to create a open frame and cover it in fondant cutting the cake to fit. Personally I'd PM Kitgrl she would be able to advice you properly as she is a wiz with sculpted cakes.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

diamondsonblackvelvet13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsonblackvelvet13 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks! I am going to see if maybe I can create something out of a ball pan...maybe.

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:11pm
post #4 of 5

I think there is one on here by bbstephan. Check out that user's photos. It has a football helment on top of a star. I just happen to be looking at it and saw your post. Hope this helps and maybe bbstephan could help you along if you ask.

death_by_frosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
death_by_frosting Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:14pm
post #5 of 5

hmmm...I think you are thinking more complexed than I was.... never mind. Good luck... I'd love to see this if you can figure out how. What a challange!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%