Bad Expierence With Tuxedo Strawberries

Decorating By cakebaker1957 Updated 23 Apr 2008 , 11:32am by MessiET

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 12

I tried for the first time to make the tux strawberries and it was a disaster, they were lumpy and the white chocolate wouldnt set up so i put in the frig then i tried to dip them in the choc and i was holding them by the side and the white choc wanted to melt it was awful, wished i had a pic i would let everyone see them i got so mad i have no ideal what went wrong if it was the white choc that was Sams club brand or what i will try again (Maybe)

11 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:59pm
post #2 of 12

What type of chocolate did you use? Chocolate chips are not designed to be melted and re-set. You need almond bark or couverture (which would need to be tempered)

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 12

I use almond bark and have had nothing but great results. But I havent tried tuxedo strawberries yet. Only plain chocolate covered strawberries and drizzled with white chocolate.

mamajan61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamajan61 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 12

I use the ghiradelli almond bark and have never had a problem. I used the Aldi brand one time, and still had great results.

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 12

MAYBE YOU GOT THE CHOCOLATE TO HOT FOR THE SECOND DIP, MINE ALWAYS TURNS OUT GREAT. BUT YOU CANT RUSH THEM. YOU JUST KEEP TRYING YOU WILL GET IT RIGHT. DONT LET IT GET YOU DOWN..

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:35am
post #6 of 12

Any particular istructions? I want to make them for a friend's daughter's wedding!!!

mamajan61 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:43am
post #7 of 12

This is how I do mine... I wish I had a picture, but, anyhow...

I use the ghiradelli almond bark.. the white and the double dutch chocolate...

Put them each in a double boiler and SLOWLY melt them down... and I mean SLOWLY....

Take a dried strawberry and dip it completely in the white... lay it on a parchment lined cookie sheet.... actually do all the strawberries in the white first... then place them in the refrigerator for 5 to 7 minutes. Let them set real good.

Then you take your white dipped strawberry and gently lay one side in the dutch chocolate and roll it to the other side, leaving the white "V" for the front of the tux. Then place them in the refrigerator to set...

Bring them out of the refrigerator... I then take one of wilton's bottles that looks like a condiment bottle with the nozzle top... I can't for the life of me think of the name of it... and fill it with the dark chocolate...

gently make your bow tie and two or three dots down the center for the buttons... VIOLA!!!

Put them in the frig for just a minute or so... and you are DONE!!! Tuxedo strawberries!!!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 3:57am
post #8 of 12

I make mine like mamajan does and have no problems either.

I am sorry they gave you such trouble and hope you will not give up on making them! Once you get the first one correct you will be making them a lot! Hang in there!! icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif

mamajan61 Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:09am
post #9 of 12

That's right Teekakes.... the minute you get that first one done like it's supposed to be... then OMG you are hooked... I made them for a church function and everybody was mesmerized... they couldn't believe I had taken SO LONG to prepare those strawberries....

I just smiled...

elainec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elainec Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:16am
post #10 of 12

Thank you so much for the help!!!!!!!!!!!
I am also donating desserts for our school's prom. Won't these be the hit!

feronilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feronilee Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #11 of 12

Wet berries could be responsible for all of the problems you had. You aren't supposed to wash the berries first but rather wipe them with a lightly dampened cloth and wait till they are completely dry. Any moisture makes chocolate a mess. But let me tell you, everything looks better with a tux! I did Peeps this easter the bunnies and the chicks and everyone loved them!

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 23 Apr 2008 , 11:32am
post #12 of 12

Once your strawberries are done, do you leave them in the fridge until ready to use?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%