How To Use Pearl/luster Dust

Decorating By new2bake Updated 5 Dec 2013 , 7:57am by Han74

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:05pm
post #1 of 13

hii everyone....i have 2 of wiltons pearl dust shades and few other lustre dust dhades....can anyone tell me how to use them to give that perly shine i see in photos here. Whenevr i've tried it by mixing w/ lemon extract...there's no shine or anything. thanks.

12 replies
blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 5:23pm
post #2 of 13

I too have been wondering how to do this. How do you paint it on where it looks like you piped it gold or silver? I've heard of mixing it with vodka and brushing it on, but wouldn't that be an issue with the alcohol and kids eating the cake?

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 13

The alcohol evaporates and is not an issue. However, I haven't been able to "paint" with the luster dusts and get that look either. I've tried using lemon extract since we don't have vodka and mine never even thins enough to paint. It's kind of clumpy...hmm. Hope someone can help with this!

gucci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gucci Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 4:31am
post #4 of 13

I have been wondering the SAME THING! I asked another CC member about it, and she said to mix the dust with vodka. I guess that's the way to go! I have previously done it with silver lustre dust and clear vanilla extract. It gets silver and definitely has a shine, but it doesn't "POP" like I've seen on other cakes. I know that on Ace of Cakes they use airbrush paint with a paintbrush, but I don't know where to get it.

new2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
new2bake Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:59am
post #5 of 13

thanks everyone for ur answers...we also dont have vodka here and i've used it w/ lemon extract. Also, the top line got mixed up..i wantd to write i have perl dust and some other shades of lustre dust....dont know how to use either!!!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:04am
post #6 of 13

To get the big shimmer, you use super pearl dust and with out the extract. Paint what you want and then go over with pearl dust.

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:05am
post #7 of 13

Oh I love the stuff.. I could roll around in it LOL

Anyways... I use EverClear... its a very HIGH grain alcohol... it evaporates sooo quickly that there isn't even a trace of it after about 3 minutes...

You mix it like this...

3 parts alcohol to 1 part luster dust... to give it a pearly shine add a part of pearl.. if you need it thicker add less liquid...

Once you get the hang of it you won't ever wanna do anything without it!!

I also LOVE pixie dust.. yep addicted to the dusts I am LOL

icon_smile.gif

HTH's

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:07am
post #8 of 13

I just use a dry brush and brush it on

Molly2

Peeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeg Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:14am
post #9 of 13

I just use it dry, just like painting, it sparkles, and shines.

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:24am
post #10 of 13

I have noticed that the Wilton dusts are not as good quality or as easy to use as the better ones like CK Products. Wilton tends to clump. The Super Pearl Dust is the way to go! icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:55am
post #11 of 13

To get a "silver" effect on something like metal.. you almost have to paint it on...mixed with superpearl dust

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 13

Thanks a lot! Everybody's post has helped. icon_biggrin.gif

Han74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Han74 Posted 5 Dec 2013 , 7:57am
post #13 of 13

AAlcohol does not evaporate, not even when cooked for hours still remains a certain percentage in it. It has been proven, and most chefs know about this.

See : http://www.ochef.com/165.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%