Amazing Rolling Pin For Fondant

Decorating By snowshoe1 Updated 17 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm by kristina67

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 1:13pm
post #1 of 26

After watching the Sugarshack fondant DVD I just had to get a rolling pin similar to hers. My husband found this one and I am amazed how perfectly it rolls out my fondant:

http://www.ablekitchen.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=LW-RP18A

A little pricey but worth it!!

25 replies
ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 26

Ohhhhhhh... I want one, too. Bronwen Weber had one in a class I took with her - fabulous, heavy, long stainless steel. I keep hoping I'll find one somewhere and not have to pay postage on that heavy pin. Lucky You thumbs_up.gif

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 15 Apr 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 26

OMG $200 for a rolling pin???

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 26

I have a tapered french rolling pin that is made of stainless steel and has nice weight to it. It is great for fondant. I got my from The Bakers catalogue and I have seen them at Williams Sonoma. I believe that they run $40-$50.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 10:58pm
post #5 of 26

Well, it is definitely over $150, they offer free shipping on anything over that!

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 16 Apr 2008 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 26

I was wondering if anyone uses a marble rolling pin and if so how does that work?

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:25am
post #7 of 26

I use a silicon one. I would think a chilled marble one would be great too.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:40am
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

I was wondering if anyone uses a marble rolling pin and if so how does that work?

I've been wondering the same thing. I've been using either Wilton's large rolling pin which works okay for me, or I use what was my grandmother's old rolling pin and it recently broke. I know she used to have a marble one that one of my aunt's had given her, but she complained that it was too heavy for her and my aunt took it and gave it to someone else (this was about 28 years ago and with my grandmother's wishes). Nobody asked me if I wanted it though. icon_cry.gif

Now whenever I see them I keep debating if I should buy one, but I don't want to spend money on something that doesn't work well for my needs and fondant is pretty close to the top of that list. So if anyone has the answer, we'd love to hear it.

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:51am
post #9 of 26

Ok ladies...

I'm officially your hero for the evening... icon_lol.gif

http://www.instawares.com/aluminum-rolling-pin-18.jr3638.0.7.htm

Maybe this on instead? thumbs_up.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:53am
post #10 of 26

I USE MY GRANDMOTHERS OLD WOODEN ROLLING PEN AND IT WAS FREE, CANT SEE SPENDING THAT AMOUNT OF MONEY ON A ROLLING PIN. BUT ITS WHAT YOU LIKE THAT MATTERS.THAT ROLLING PIN IS PRETTY THO.ENJOY IT.

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 3:57am
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahnichole975

I have a marble rolling pin that my Mom gave me. It is wonderful! I use it for sugar cookies and for fondant. It is heavy but it works so well that I would not part with it. I also have an aluminum pin that my cousin gave me for Christmas and I am not real fond of it. I don't think it is as heavy as some of them are. It takes a lot more arm strength than the marble one. Hope this helps.

lovetofrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovetofrost Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:03am
post #12 of 26

I actually caught myself with my mouth open on this post. My DH would KILL me if I spent that much money on a rolling pin. I have heard so many posts where people just go to home depot and get PVC pipe and it work wonderful. I could buy 3-4 sets of pans or a good mixer or something that would bring in more income instead of just flattening some fondant. Thanks to the bargain shopper who posted the one for $30.00, that's more realistic. I can see why they give you free shipping if you are willing to spend that much money on just one item. I don't mean to sound rude, but WOW!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:07am
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by plbennett_8

Ok ladies...

Yes, that is certainly better than $180!! icon_confused.gif Just can't believe the markup on that first one!! icon_eek.gif

bigmama1961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigmama1961 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:07am
post #14 of 26

PLBENNET-8 NOW THATS NOT A BAD PRICE THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHAREING...

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:15am
post #15 of 26

I just bought this one - Stainless steel and heavy.

I just checked the Able Kitchen site and the quoted price is for a lot of 6 rolling pins. That comes out to about $31 per pin.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
biancas_mommy Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:17am
post #17 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Quote:

Ok ladies...

Yes, that is certainly better than $180!! icon_confused.gif Just can't believe the markup on that first one!! icon_eek.gif

but if you look at the weights on the two...the expensive one has a shipping weight of 19 lbs...the cheaper one is 5 lbs. icon_biggrin.gif granted those are shipping weights and not actual product weights but somehow i doubt the expensive one's got 14 lbs of packing peanuts in the box!

no way i could ever spend that kind of money on a rolling pin, but you can see why it's so much more.

EDIT: ok i'm a dork. i looked at the expensive one again and it says sold in units of "6 pieces." does that mean the price is actually for 6 rolling pins?? if so it's neither 19 lbs each nor $200 each. icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:24am
post #18 of 26

but is able kitchen quote of ship and price for more than one as stated here?

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:37am
post #19 of 26

How about something in between. I first saw this it in a class with Earlene Moore and lusted...

http://www.atlantafixture.com/Detail.aspx?CurrentCategory=0&CurrentPage=1&Mode=Keyword&ItemId=207965&LogoLink=Summary.aspx%3fMode%3dManufacturer%26MfgId%3d664%26MfgName%3dMOLINE%2bMACHINERY%252c%2bLTD.&LogoImage=ProductImages%2fLib0000195%2f100x100%2fmolean+logo.jpg&LogoText=&MfgName=MOLINE+MACHINERY%2c+LTD.

It weighs not quite 6 lbs and the rolling barrel part is 17 7/8 inches. Each handle is about 4 3/8 inches long (the handle itself is 3 1/2 as in the drawing, but there is a piece between the handle and the barrel that they drew but didn't measure), so total length is 26 3/4 inches inches. Made by Moline and the model # is 200B

$124.00 is a lot for a rolling pin, but it saves a lot of work due to it's weight and length. Any heavier and it would be hard to work with it.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 4:38am
post #20 of 26

This is what I have. It's really great. http://www.laprimashops.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=311

It's heavy and rolls really smoothly. It makes a real difference compared to the wooden one I had originally. I found it at Ross for $22.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 9:11am
post #21 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetofrost

I actually caught myself with my mouth open on this post. My DH would KILL me if I spent that much money on a rolling pin. I have heard so many posts where people just go to home depot and get PVC pipe and it work wonderful. I could buy 3-4 sets of pans or a good mixer or something that would bring in more income instead of just flattening some fondant. Thanks to the bargain shopper who posted the one for $30.00, that's more realistic. I can see why they give you free shipping if you are willing to spend that much money on just one item. I don't mean to sound rude, but WOW!

I'm so cheap I couldn't do it. I go the PVC route. Any length I want. For less than 10 bucks I can get 5 " rolling pins. LOLOL.

Mike

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 11:33am
post #22 of 26

I'm so cheap I couldn't do it. I go the PVC route. Any length I want. For less than 10 bucks I can get 5 " rolling pins. LOLOL.

Mike[/quote]

Mike,

I was wondering... Do you weight it some way?

Thanks,
Pat

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:16pm
post #23 of 26

Oops!! I made a mistake with the original post icon_redface.gif ! The link is for ordering 6 of these - its a site for commercial kitchens mostly so they have things in bulk. I ordered this over the phone and the cost is about $35 + shipping for one (which I still think is pricey for a pin). Sorry to have misled everyone - my hobby budget doesn't call for $180 rolling pins.

The 18" length is what makes such a difference for someone like me who is a fondant dummy! And having the handles are so much better than the long PVC pipe I was using before. The only drawback is rolling fondant used to be a great workout for me icon_wink.gif

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:27pm
post #24 of 26
Quote:

Mike

Mike,

I was wondering... Do you weight it some way?

Thanks,
Pat[/quote]

No I don't

Mike

weezasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weezasmom Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 12:46pm
post #25 of 26

I have had one of these for about five years. I used one when I worked in the bakery and couldn't do without. I was never good at rolling out anything before, but with this it's like magic! It's heavy and has ball bearings. Would't know what to do if I didn't have it.

kristina67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristina67 Posted 17 Apr 2008 , 7:52pm
post #26 of 26

My favorite is a 2" diameter PVC pipe cut 25" long. It has worked wonderfully for me. Any way I can save money the better. Now I'm just trying to figure out something that works as good as the Agbay leveler without spending $!50.00!!!
Wiltons just isn't that good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%